March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom thts one great looking gun. Nice find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always love their "duck bill" forend and "Yuge" trigger guards.

Tom, it would be such a blessing if you allowed a shop to make a pattern from a graded SAC gunstock. Even if it was just for the next guy. Their lines are quite unique.

Out there doing it best I can.
topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CZ, I know of no reason why we couldn't arrange to make a pattern stock at some point; and I'll work with you to do so as soon as time permits. The neatest SAC stocks in my opinion are found on the later Grades B, C, and D; and one will often find unique differences. Some of the nicest stocks I've seen have been on the second model B Grades (and probably because one seldom sees a late C or D Grade). These guns usually feature very nicely figured and colored stock wood, and those with carved layering around the checkered cheek panels are the most appealing. The most unusual B Grade stock I've seen to date is on a battered and abused BE in the 32XXX range. In addition to the standard beautiful wood, checkered and carved cheek panels, "S" shaped full pistol grip, and uniquely shaped SAC comb; this gun was ordered without the ebony forend tip, and the "S" shaped full pistol grip was ordered capped so that it's surface is now flat. Never seen another SAC gun with either of these features; and it must have taken some time to shape and fit the back side of the pistol grip cap to the "S" contour of that stock. This gun was also ordered with the pointing dog on the left side of the frame looking backwards towards the shooter; but I've seen that backwards dog theme on two other Grade B guns. I probably bore the hello out of many folks when it comes to SAC guns; but I personally find them extremely interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, you don't "bore the hello" outta me.
Keep it coming, man!!
If'n a "Show & Tell" at Sanford (a la Dr. Bill) - count me IN.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bro. Tom is trying, and I'm trying to enhance the images

Looks like it was G.W. Harrison

No hits in Sporting Life under C.W. or G.W. so he apparently was not a prominent shooter

Possibly him in 1893
West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railway
https://books.google.com/books?id=2wpPAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA161&lpg

In 1912 he was Secy. of the New York State Association of County Agricultural Societies
https://books.google.com/books?id=0WV4n21P09gC&pg=PA841&lpg

1915 represented the New York Dept. of Agriculture
https://books.google.com/books?id=KAf4SVzXrHMC&pg=PA362&lpg

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fascinating possibility of the gun's history.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best we can do, which is not quite fair to this neat gun

For Brian

Forend tip. The barrels are 3 Iron "Oxford" similar to Parker D3 on GH

No safety

topgun Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brain
Frank Hollenbeck designed the "V" spring forend fastener seen on this gun. That feature/device was in production beginning with Frank's prototype, but had been entirely discontinued prior to serial number 8,000; and replaced by a "J" spring type fastener (Hollenbeck was long gone from the gun works when that change was made). It's a great feature as far as providing a very easy way to get a forend on and off a set of barrel, but it didn't serve to keep the forend tight against the knuckle of the frame; and, at least from my personal experience, it wasn't a stout enough spring and allowed the forend to occasionally spring loose on recoil. The SAC gun was improved when the "V" spring fastener was dropped.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.