April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#509166 03/21/18 11:54 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Holt's looks like it has some nice doubles in tomorrow's auction. Has anyone bought from them before? I'm toying with the idea of a bid.

NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes often. It pays to get a condition report. Might not be time through Holt's. You might see if Dig will be there and offer an opinion. I can import it for you if you win. Good luck.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bidding without a condition report is a stab in the dark. The way I look at it everyone there knows what that gun is and about its true value, while you will be going off a 50 word description and a couple if photos. Then consider getting it shipped from there to your local FFL expense.

Those bargains, based on estimated bid prices, are not such a bargain when you add up all the money and time. It seems every gun that I bid on ends up selling for twice the estimate or more. You might get lucky but the odds are against it. So do it for the experience and not trying to get the steal of a lifetime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wound up not bidding, but there were some amazing prices for some of the high-end stuff. The higi-end/high-condition market really seems to be strong.

There were a couple I was planning to bid on, but as KY Jon predicted, bidding on the good items got out of hand quickly.

Owen
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes,the very last lot of the day was what I had my eye on, estimate of 1,000-1500 and it went for 2300

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was looking at that one, too. There was no fatigue in the room!

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was bidding on the same gun. Dropped out at 2k. My budget too often requires me to be more restrained than my wife thinks I am. Been looking for a nice thumb opener for a while. Most are very worn or very tired. Most hammerguns are approaching 125-150 years so few remain in anything like the shape I wish for. You can ignore many minor things until you realize that they all add up to major money to put right. Be easier if you have no interest in shooting these old guns. Thin barrels never are a risk on the wall.

Might be time to pay attention to other makers using the same opening system. I have seen a few of them, going for more reasonable prices. Sometimes you get caught up bidding on a gun bidders who are bidding on both the gun and the name. They will go higher if they value the combo more than you value just the gun. Still like to try and someday Ill get lucky again.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glad I didn't bid against you KY! It did look like a nice light thumbhole

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bid against me all you want. No hard feelings. Sometimes its aeems like the entire World is bidding and winning against me. Besides if I won that gun Id would not still be looking for one in the next sale. The hunt is 2/3 of the fun.

I was looking at a Lefever G grade with 32 barrels about a month ago. Decent shape metal but a mess of a stock. Another project gun. So I passed. Funny thing was I could not stop thinking about it and seeing one like it before. Went into the gun room and started moving guns, cases and boxes around. Found its brother, that I had restocked and redone four or five years ago. I had forgotten about it and misplaced it, which is why I forgot it in the first place. Some days I think my wife is close when she says I have too many toys. Please dont quote me in that. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.