April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, 3 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cups were so beat up because they were used as sidearms in battle.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, thank you for the report smile

So the Gun Show was "down in his cups"
he he he

http://www.word-detective.com/2010/09/cups-to-be-in-ones/

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 03/21/18 02:03 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bob:

That was a very nicely done and quite informative display. I enjoyed it.

FWIW, the only display that came close to yours was the Parker hammer gun display in the entry hall.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bob,

Yeah, it's a very different collector group.
The "militaria" guys are history buffs, not really gun make/design/beauty buffs. They get all wet over a poorly assembled, mediocre design "tin cup" (your apt phrase) which maybe, possibly, could have been used somewhere near where a battle was fought during the War of Northern Aggression...and it isn't really about the quality/design etc of the gun itself. Its more of a time/place association of a gun as an ARTIFACT...not a piece of mechanical art.

It's just an entirely different asthetic.

We had a couple over for dinner a couple years back, and i was told ahead of time that the guy "really knows his old guns...u guys will talk for hours." Turned out he knew quite a bit about different "pattern" military guns used (or...possibly used) in certain war battles.

As for doubleguns, he offered that he had "heard of Parker."

Again, it's just a whole different asthetic. Some very nice and informative guys, but, really a different kind of crowd.

NDG

Boxlock
Boxlock

Great job Dr. Bob! Looks like you had one “hell of a display”!

Shane Lee
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nudge
Dr. Bob,

Yeah, it's a very different collector group.
The "militaria" guys are history buffs, not really gun make/design/beauty buffs. They get all wet over a poorly assembled, mediocre design "tin cup" (your apt phrase) which maybe, possibly, could have been used somewhere near where a battle was fought during the War of Northern Aggression...and it isn't really about the quality/design etc of the gun itself. Its more of a time/place association of a gun as an ARTIFACT...not a piece of mechanical art.

It's just an entirely different asthetic.

We had a couple over for dinner a couple years back, and i was told ahead of time that the guy "really knows his old guns...u guys will talk for hours." Turned out he knew quite a bit about different "pattern" military guns used (or...possibly used) in certain war battles.

As for doubleguns, he offered that he had "heard of Parker."

Again, it's just a whole different asthetic. Some very nice and informative guys, but, really a different kind of crowd.

NDG

I really mean "Tin Cups" literally. Real beat up tin cups like you would find in a dump. Nothing to do with Arms except that those who used them may have been armed.
My point is they call it an Arms Show but award junk. It would be like a car show giving awards for skateboards.
It takes a lot of work, not the least collecting the guns displayed, travel, motel bills, table fees, etc. to enter. I expect to compete fairly. Losing to a display like the one with the pistols given to George Washington by Lafayette is one thing. Losing to non-arms junk is another.

Last edited by DrBob; 03/22/18 01:43 PM.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, yes it must be frustrating to lose to a tin cup display. Several weapons group eligible judges don’t participate in the judging for the same reason you mention. Just a back scratching , sort of like the “self congratulatory entertainment industry award shows.” Sort of popularity contests.

I, for one, would appreciate closeups of your guns. Many must be incredibly rare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LOL !!!

I thought you were making an analogy!!!

That makes it even funnier!! Er...sadder, I guess.

All the same, if anyone would like tin cups of dubious provenance in exchange for an early graded Lefever, please PM me.

NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
So, was the tin cup display actually the winner and the LACA display was second? Or were we just behind the Tin cups in placing?

B.Dudley
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Tin Cups Display won one of the educational awards. If you don't win you don't know where you stand.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.