April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 410 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone hunting with Trek in Nicaragua
Mombacho Lodge for doves

Close trip from Houston

Love to hear from anyone who has done this hunting

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wish I could help you out. My wife is from Granada and she has many relatives still living there. I've only been down there for family meet and greets and non hunting touristy type visits.

Maybe next trip down I may need to check it out myself, but that doesn't help you now.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep.... really good trip.

Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

John--I was at Mombacho Lodge in December with a group of friends that included Chris--who commented above! It's a very nice, close trip with a reasonable price. It's not Argentina/Uruguay style dove shooting. I've been to South America a dozen times and speak from experience. The doves fly for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. It's like somebody threw a switch. You can figure about 8-10 boxes of shells per hunt and to shoot that many you have to shoot at the high flyers. It's amazing how far away you can kill a dove. I opted for a 12ga. Beretta Outlander with a modified choke and was good to go at any distance! The lodge is very nice and just a few years old. Bruno is a gracious host. The food was well done and the rooms were excellent. You were back in the lodge by 11am or so and did not hit the fields again until 230-3pm. You had time to relax, float in the pool, swing in a hammock or hang out at the very nice outdoor bar facilities. We opted for the Sunday-Thursday trip. Sunday night we stayed at the Hotel Colonial in Granada and wandered about the town Sunday evening. Dinner in town was excellent. They picked us up early Monday morning and we went straight to the dove fields. Our luggage was transported directly to the lodge. You get 6 hunts--Monday-Wednesday and we flew home on Thursday. I recommend the Sun-Thurs option if you like exploring some local culture. Getting in and out of the Managua airport was easy. The lodge is about an hours ride from the airport--as is Granada. The only thing that might be an issue is that wherever we shot, local people showed up in quantity. They were not a problem but at times I had 30-40 people sitting quietly behind me. As the days went by, I got used to it and interaction with them proved very nice! Understand that Nicaragua is a VERY poor country and these folks are living in very difficult conditions. They wanted the birds and we divided them up at the end of each hunt, keeping just a few for us to sample at the lodge. If I go again, I'll take some bags of small wrapped candies for the children and, perhaps, some rolls of quarters! I can tell you this--no matter how high and thick the sorghum was--NO bird went unrecovered. So--to sum up--Its a trip I would recommend and TREK does a great job of coordinating everything. I hope that helps you decide. My group is going to Uruguay in June for pigeons, perdiz and Doves. We have a couple openings if you care to join us. It's a first class trip.

Last edited by Bill Davis; 02/19/18 05:31 PM.

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, have you taken good double guns on any of your hunts?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fellows:

I have a couple of friends that we have discussed this. We all like the sound of the trip. They have shot in S. A and now do not care about massive amount of doves. Me, well the long 10 flight puts me off for S.A. They all say the 10 hours of total flight/travel time is tough.I have back problems

I always try to do a quail hunt each year and now want to add one other hunt, this could be it.

Thanks so much for the great input!

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stopped taking guns about 4 years ago to SA. Just too much hassle--although I might again to Uruguay. They are easier to deal with. Yes--I took double guns on many occasions. They were always Model 21's--both original and CSMC in 16 and 20 gauge. They worked flawlessly and are the ideal SxS for that type of shooting and especially nice for perdiz over dogs.

nid-28
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks so much. Got some great input from our members. Sounds like a great time. I think I will give it ago!!

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been on one Trek trip and my Dad has been on several. Great outfit!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.