April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do have some Remingtons, Jon. I may try the same load in a few to see what they will hold. I also have some RIOs and Fiocchis.

Gil, I have some of the mylar wrap left over from 10 ga. shorties years ago. I'd just have to trim it to fit. Thing is, it would take up nearly the same amount of space as the petals on a wad does, maybe a tad less, as it's pretty thin. Good point about the imprinting on the upper part of the petals.

Thanks, guys. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot cup petals should "Never" extend beyond the shot, better to be a bit shy. When the petals extend beyond he shot they are encased in the fold of the crimp, whether roll or pie. This presents a very real possibility of the wad being retarded before the crimp can open. There is then a distinct possibility of Max camber pressures being increased, perhaps to a dangerous level. There is a very good reason wad makers keep their petals a bit shorter than for the intended shot load they are designed for. I didn't dream this up, it came from a ballistician in a ballistics lab, just don't at present recall the lab.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

On specialty loads that I use where the shot wouldn't normally reach the top of the cup, felt and or cork spacers are placed in the bottom of the wads to raise the shot level. These are ballistic laboratory tested loads and are well within SAAMI pressure limits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chrome is hard and protective to steel from oxidizing. It is not necessarily smooth, unless specifically made so. Most industrial Chrome is matte in finish. My experience is that a well polished steel bore leads less than an as plated chrome bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Shot cup petals should "Never" extend beyond the shot, better to be a bit shy. When the petals extend beyond he shot they are encased in the fold of the crimp, whether roll or pie. This presents a very real possibility of the wad being retarded before the crimp can open.

I have to openly admit that what you say makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

AND even tho I've a limited reloading experience with only about 500,000 behind me, I've not seen a wad that would allow even a modest length of petal in the crimp that could actually be crimped and look like something one would want to put in a gun. I've loaded maybe 200K 24gm loads in 28gm shotcups and have never seen or felt or whatever any indication of high pressure and those were close to max or max loads to start with.

If you'd care to pay for it I can supply you with any number of similar loads for pressure testing.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I notice that several responders have mentioned mylar shot wraps. Decades ago I worked in a life-test lab, mostly doing work on electric motors. We used mylar to test the abrasion resistance of the steel shafts in the motors. With the slightest bit of anything between the mylar and the steel, the shaft would get chewed to pieces. I don't put mylar in my barrels.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The risk of the use of mylar increasing the likelihood of scratching barrels is pretty remote. The risk of barrels being scratched by what the mylar wrap is attempting to isolate, steel or solid tungsten shot, is far greater. Mylar has been an accepted component in preventing harder-than-lead shot breaking through soft plastic cups. I have yet to see evidence of scoring or scratching while using mylar. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frankly Wonko, I do not care if this makes any sense to you or not. As I said when I posted it I didn't think it up, it was stated by a well known ballistian who worked in the lab of a major US ammunition maker. Good enough for me & it made perfect sense.

The petals on most 28 gram wads are short enough to contain a 24 gram shot load so you likely have never even encountered the problem anyway

This was written primarily for those who shoot very light shot charges in a wad designed for a heavier load in their desire for "Low" pressure, such as 3/4 oz in a 1 or 1 1/8 oz shotcup.
If the shot does not fill the cup then a filler needs to be placed beneath it rather than allowing the cup petals to protrude beyond the shot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the reminder, Miller. But, I will probably never be one who tries to load too little in a shell. I'm often on the other end, trying to get one last little bit of performance out of one.

I never even knew there was a WW loading of 3/4 oz. for a .410 until KYJon clued me in a few weeks ago. But, it is an awesome load .........patterns beautifully on my plate out of my Dickinson, and smashes clays farther than I would have ever dreamed of with a 67 gauge.

I can't wait until next dove season. https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/ge...mp;font=cursive

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/17/18 06:01 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im with Wonko. Aint no way a long wad would do anything significant to pressure. You can crimp a shell then glue it shut and the worst thing that will happen is you might lose a piece of the crimp fold. Loaded hundreds of rds using large wads with reduced shot and filler on top of wad. Worst case, the filler on top blows the pattern, but skeet birds never seem to care.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.