April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Stanton Hillis), 1,162 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bryan, talk to Russ Gould at Doublegunhq.com. He is in May, Texas and might be able to help. He has trips to Argentina and many other places.

Ralph
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There are many little things that vary from outfitter to outfitter, that aren't little when you are there, that are so important to the overall success and enjoyment of a trip to Cordoba. Things like how far you are staying from the actual shooting locations. You do not have to ride over 5-10 minutes each way ever, if you go with the right one. Some even put you up in a hotel and then transport you up to two hours each way to and from shooting. Because of this, they keep you in the field through lunch and cook for you there. Luis brings you back to the lodge for lunch, where you are met with hors d'oeuvres and a staff waiting to help you in any way they can. You have lunch, and can catch a quick nap in your room, if you'd like, before going back to the field for another three hour shoot in the afternoon. When you return in the late afternoon, same routine ...........hor d'oeuvres, drinks if you'd like, t.v., etc. He has a computer for you to use in the lodge. If you want it, there is a masseuse there in the late afternoons to ease the muscle aches from a long days' shooting. One of the evenings, immediately following the meal, there is entertainment in the form of a young Argentine couple who dance the tango, to traditional music.

But, maybe the biggest "little" thing of all, IMO, is the lady ( in the case of Luis Sier's operation) who is standing there at the Cordoba airport when you get off the plane, to walk you through every minute detail and step of getting through customs and the Policia, who go over your guns with a fine tooth comb. Do what Gloria says, and it's a breeze, each way. They know her, and know she has her ducks in a row. I'd hate to try it without an on-site person to help out there. It could be done, but the Policia know she keeps things straight, to their great pleasure, and there's never a hitch.

It may or may not make any difference in operation, but Luis owns all the land we have ever shot on. He doesn't farm it himself, but leases it to farmers in the area. He owns the 1600 acre roost, which is directly across the road from the La Paloma Lodge, and only about a mile from the bigger Riverside Lodge. Both compounds are fenced with a high security fence that is electrified at night, and have armed guards all night at the only gate. We asked him if this was necessary. He replied, "Never have had problem ............never will have problem. Clients too important to me".

Group rates can be negotiated, and we always do that. One person who is accustomed to international travel (if possible) should act as contact man for the entire group. Use a travel agent for the ticketing, etc. It is so nice to have a big group of your friends and acquaintances with you.The fellowship and camaraderie just adds another dimension to the hunt.

I much prefer early August there. Weather is crisp and brisk at night, and warms up to shirt-sleeve temps during the day. That would not be a deal breaker for me though, as I am sure there are other times of the year that would be great. But, in August, the crops there are all harvested and the fields are open, with crop residue. Beautiful farmland, beautiful warm gracious people. Everything one could ask for in the way of amenities.

I have heard of the death of one of the hunters at another outfitter's operation, due to an accident of some type involving a vehicle. So, there is another consideration, of which I will avail myself every time I go. There is a service called AirEvac, that will provide you with jet transportation from the site of an accident, or illness, to your choice of hospital in the USA............bed to bed. It is a short-term insurance that you purchase for the length of your trip only. It costs somewhere around $260, according to their representative which whom I spoke this week, for about 7-10 days. She told me of a hunter who was out of country recently, broke his leg badly, and the local medical facility gave him a choice of amputation or screwing a steel rod to the outside of his leg with screws going into the leg bones. He arranged an emergency flight home via a medical transport company, and it cost $25,000. I wouldn't fly overseas without that insurance.

At this point, I wouldn't consider going to Cordoba to hunt with any other outfitter. And, we have the entire Riverside Lodge booked for the first week of August, this year.

http://www.airevacinternational.com

Best, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/02/18 08:15 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan's suggestion of medical evacuation insurance is well worth adherence. I know of local examples of one having it and another not having it. A friend's son was in the New Guinea jungles on an eco tour. He is a hemophiliac. What he was doing in a jungle, heaven only knows. He was injured and developed a bleed. No trip insurance. It cost the family $50,000 to evacuate him home. They had to take a second mortgage on the home. Then there was dad's buddy Leo. He bitched and moaned about his wife paying $75 for trip insurance. He had cardiac problems on the trip, an Alaskan cruise. Was helicoptered to a town and then airlifted to a surgical center. Spent two weeks in a Canadian hospital and was flown home all of the above at the insurer's expense. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some outfitters offer within the package Global Rescue(typically a 7 day policy) & I recently was in a group that a fella had a heart attack, so this service is warranted. This fella had the means to be extracted by still it takes several hours from Florida in any craft. And it is a good idea to know if the outfitter is a pilot or has a pilot on staff that can be on an airstrip w/in say 1/2 hour.

https://www.globalrescue.com/

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

And on a sidenote, Bolivian Adventures does have an airstrip; one of the CEOs is a pilot & they have a pilot w/ a plane on call. And the wife of one of the CEOs is a Doctor. One negative on the whole lot is the 10 year visa one has to purchase due to some quid pro quo between the U.S. of A. & Bolivia, but the Canadians go & come as they please. It takes several painful hours to get the fella to copy your passport.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great advice from everyone. I'm enjoying the dialogue.

I hadn't thought that much about pigeon, perdiz or ducks. I'm still toying around with that. I know I would love any of it or just focusing on doves for the first trip.

Medical evacuation insurance is always a good idea on trips like this. I got it when I went to Zimbabwe. Can you imagine the expense? Or worse yet, getting a blood transfusion in Zimbabwe? No thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know it must vary tremendously but do you find the shooting to be around large flocks that flare or is it more like lots of smaller groups/singles coming by? I think I would enjoy the smaller groups and lots of singles more than a large swarm that is very hard to focus on individual targets.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No large flocks. Singles and small groups but so continuous that it's hard to call any of them singles. Hard to describe so many in sight and in range all the time.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

They will put you onto a spot to give you a lot of birds to shoot. If you have a favorite shot tell them. Like high incomes or left to right birds. After all shells are where the real money adds up. They don't care how many birds you kill they care about how many shells you use.

I spent one day shooting right to left birds at different ranges until I got so dialed in that few birds going that direction were safe out to fifty plus yards. Changed my choke tube after an hour to extend my range. Next day I changed to shooting only birds going the opposite direction. Lots of practice makes you very, very deadly with a shotgun. I got years of chances at birds in the period of three hours. Enjoy it and figure out how to use it to make you a more confident and competent shooter.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When you shoot doves here on a dove field you will be shooting every different presentation imaginable. When you shoot where I did in Cordoba, you see birds flying away from you and you see birds flying toward you, all morning or afternoon. But they are like that as far as the eye can see on either side. They're leaving the roost or coming back to it. Two directions ..........that's it. Sometimes it's just pass shooting, all incomers.

At many locations you can shoot incomers for awhile, going away for awhile, turn to your left and shoot right to left crossers, then turn to the other side and shoot left to right crossers. Any presentation can be shot from one spot ..........take your pick. My favorite is to shoot an incomer far, far out there, then shoot another incomer so quickly that it falls in front of you. Two dead birds in the air at one time is "mucha diversion".

SRH

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.