March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 399 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had read about that method of using a BB gun & tried it a bit on my own, no official training. Was using the Daisy Pump (no rib Stan), model 29 if memory is correct. I didn't do it enough to get as good as some of you, but it will amaze you just what can be done by this method of "Look at Target" & shoot. Obviously the Daisy didn't fit me like my regular shotguns but still shot well to point of "Look".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Obviously the Daisy didn't fit me like my regular shotguns but still shot well to point of "Look".

Fit doesn't seem to matter and the hand eye coordination the BB gun method teaches is absolutely transferable over to your shotgun. The BB guns we used all had the sights removed altogether...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

As always a fascinating and illuminating discussion. When I read most of the comments I give a hearty thanks that some people were not in my instructive past. And it's always great fun to relay the wisdom to folks out at the club so they have a better idea of how to improve their game.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall shooting a BSS for skeet at night for years. Once in a while, the front bead (a light gathering plastic tube type) would be noted as missing part way through a night of shooting. It never seemed to matter on my scores.

But I believe that is because of transference to other references thru repetition. You shoot 10,000 times while focusing on the target, but your mind sees the barrels, your hand and forend, rib, etc., over and over again. Not just the rib or bead.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joseph Manton who invented the raised rib felt it served a very definite purpose. Churchill felt one never looked at it.

I am of the opinion that any good shot given a gun with stock dimensions that fit, could shoot the gun well with any rib. The style of rib seems to be more for aesthetics than anything else.

However the rib should always taper to end flush with the barrels. When a rib on a side-by-side is above the muzzle of the gun or the height of the bead is changed the pitch is thrown off. The eyes see the top of that bead subconsciously.

I didn't believe it myself but I proved it by lowering a bead on a gun that I couldn't hit with, and it worked immediately.

Like most of you I don't think anyone consciously looks at the rib.
However ,the best shot I ever knew used to put white tape down the rib of his barrel when he got into a shoot-off that went into darkness. He seldom lost.

Last edited by volleyfire; 02/04/18 04:38 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: GLS
Some of you old farts that went through basic in the late 60's may have been instructed in basic marksmanship with Daisy BB guns using Lucky McDaniel's Quick Kill technique of focusing on the target and looking over the barrel to hit the thrown target which was made progressively smaller until one could hit a bb with a bb. I had the serendipitous experience of meeting Lucky McDaniel's daughter at a party 40 years after basic who was shocked that I was able to talk about her dad knowing who he was and what he did and having been trained in the technique. Gil

Art thou implying that thy bb gun hadst no raised rib? By chance was it French?

SRH

Stan, can't recall where it was made, but the model was "La Ryder Rouge". It was not a sliding breech or break action. If memory serves it was lever action. I recall the range master announcing "Ready on the right, Ready on the left; ready on the firing line. Do not shoot your eye out." Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're not "ribbing" us, are you, Gil?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: billwolfe
You're not "ribbing" us, are you, Gil?

grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Ribs smibs,

The question that has never been adequately answered to this day is, What is the premium cut, Prime Rib or Filet Mignon?

Prime rib, of course! Never a contest... not enough fat on the filet.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: moses
I believe that we see more of our rib & barrels than some would like to admit. It is all a part of the sight picture.
Looking at the target you catch in your peripheral vision a picture of where your rib & bead is in relation to the target.
This lets you know when to trigger the shot.

+1

Originally Posted By: builder
You may not see it but your body (or your mind, take your pick) does. You may concentrate so hard that you only see the target but you are somehow aware where it is.

and another +1

So many confuse the term "seeing the rib/bead" with "looking at the rib/bead". You absolutely see it, if you have the gun mounted and it fits you properly. But, you NEVER look at it again, after picking up the bird and locking your eyes on it .................be it a live or an inanimate bird. To look at the bead/muzzles during the shot process guarantees you will shoot behind it.

This from an old dedicated iron sight rifle and pistol competitor of many years, which demands a hard focus on the front sight, with the target and rear sight a blur ............... "it don't come easy, you know it don't come easy". My apologies to Mr. Lennon.
SRH

Credit where its due please,,Ringo Starr,,with a little help from George Harrison

As our language becomes impoverished,,our thinking shrinks to fit.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.