Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#502001 01/17/18 02:32 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.wbrz.com/news/only-in-louisiana-video-captures-three-skiers-on-i-10

Oh mah Cher, here is how dem Cajuns cross country ski across dat Atchafalaya Basin on I-10. Oooowee, dey passin' a good time yeh.

Last edited by James Flynn; 01/17/18 02:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As kids we grew up doing that. We called it bumped riding. In the 5th grade my friend was bumper riding, hit a gravel spot and took his entire front teeth out on the bumper. Not a particularly safe sport.

Last edited by Tamid; 01/17/18 02:37 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every State has it's specialties.
Only In Minnesota:

Told to me as true, the picture above was for real and caused several road wrecks. Alcohol was involved...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Tamid, I grew up doing that. In Winnipeg we called it bumper hitching. Loads of fun because of course, the adult driving the car would have a fit if he caught you.

You also used to have to have the right footwear for it to work best. I typically wore classic winter moccasins....a soft unlined leather moccasin outer boot (lace up) with a thick felt bootie or liner that fit inside. Same style footwear I used when I was doing a lot of snowshoeing. Back when you attached your foot to the snowshoe using lamp-wick, not some newfangled dang harness.

Things are not necessarily better now. Bumper hitching on a good day for it was the highlight of the winter. Fun, danger and threat of angry adults all rolled up into one! What could be better for a 10 year old.

Last edited by canvasback; 01/17/18 03:24 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

We used tractors on the farm to pull people around. You could reverse the blade so it flattened and packed the snow down smooth. Then kids would grab ahold of the top of the rear mounted, reversed blade and get a great skiing trip. We also had several homemade sleds we would pull at unreasonable rates of speed, making random turns to give them a whip effect or to slingshot them off the road. All good, clean fun with not enough adult supervision.

It looks like those boys should be cold. Not much clothing on a couple of them. Oh to be young and dumb again. Well young anyways.

Last edited by KY Jon; 01/17/18 06:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a wonder any of us survived to adulthood.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having live in the north country(three years in a tent)it can get very interesting what people do to wile away the frozen time. One local town Drummond, WI races bar stools with skis down a hill. Webster, WI skips snowmobiles across open water on the local lake.

Here's some others.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/truly-odd-sports-invented-in-the-depths-of-winter

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oskar,

The snow kayaking looked like fun until they plopped into that freezing cold water.

When I was at LSU my friends and I thought it would be fun to water ski down one the streets flooded by hurricane rainfall. We figured if we could get some skis, some ski rope, a car with someone crazy enough to drive, then it should have worked. Unfortunately, we had none of the aforementioned.

The ultimate government job in Louisiana is to be the snow plow inspector in Cameron parish which is right on the Gulf. Somewhere in time I feel sure there was such a position but the guy probably quit because the work was too hard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those folks up in the north have a lot more time to come up with weird stuff on the snow. Those Louisiana boys actually did pretty good considering that might have been the first time they actually had the opportunity.

When I was in college in WI I remember some of the guys from down south taking pictures of themselves walking on the lake ice and sending them home to tell their family that they could walk on water.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.