March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#501146 01/10/18 07:40 PM
bobski Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

one thing I noticed when collecting. the farther up you go into the rare and unique models, the less there are....forcing collectors to rub elbows, fight for the best ones, pay more for the best ones, pass them between each other in the glass ceiling of collecting, and rarely allow them to fall into the common mans hands. the guns that do get past the security guards in place among collectors, might sell a few times un-noticed...then all of a sudden a collector sees it and buys it back into the fold. so for the most part...the real nice ones are unobtainable.
seems the lc smiths I like ....only 5 were made!
so, im thinking of aiming for a model or era more available.
advice....are the marlin lc's a good place to start?
I know a lot of the marlin lc's have simmons ribs, and that doesn't bother me, but if I can get a nice mc stocked vr marlin lc trap gun, I might bite.
inputs?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
Sidelock

About a year or so ago, a phone call from a friend of a friend
told me about this one.

I think the original Smith draw much more collector interest than do the Marlin copies

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly wouldn’t limit my options or what I look for. I would change where I look. No offense to these guys, but I don’t even browse at Julia’s or vintage. Can’t afford it. I don’t go to the car dealership either but I’ve found some nice rides.
** EDIT: really no offense to the big guys. If I’d a hit that poweball they’d all get tired of seeing me

Last edited by Marks_21; 01/10/18 08:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked over late 60s Marlin version of L.C.Smith. Seller wanted $850 for one in excellent condition. Not a bad gun if you don't mind aluminum alloy V rib. I read Marlin did something to lock plates to alleviate wood cracking of head butt stock. Personally I would prefer English gun with Vickers Imperial lock plates by Willie Baker of Birmingham. I think guns were made by G.E. Lewis. The English made better sxs shotguns than the Americans and prices for 12ga Birmingham guns are very favorable now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the LC Smith. They were there fighting the good fight alongside the Parkers against the best Europe and England had to offer. Giving as good as they got.

Stay with the Hunter Arms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a NIB 1960s L.C. Smith with the Simmons alloy rib. The rib was fastened with some sort of adhesive that was in the process of 'letting go'.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I love the LC Smith. They were there fighting the good fight alongside the Parkers against the best Europe and England had to offer. Giving as good as they got.

Stay with the Hunter Arms.

Come now you can swallow your national pride with our New Leader we can now tell the truth. I wanted to make simple, therefore, I have not mentioned the French because they do not speak English as primary language there. Do you honestly think Sterlingworth, Trojan, LC Smith,.... make better game gun than say BSA, G.E. Lewis, "Demon Works",.... confused
You know what's even better is legendary Winchester Model 12 Featherweight 26" IC barrel. Shockingly when in rack it gets passed because it has Model 25 action, aluminum trigger guard unit and take down is like Mossberg or 870. Loco world isn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PS. Strictly speaking game guns Ole' Englishmen told me the best in Birmingham were made by William Powell and Son Ltd. Both Powell and Smith spoke fluent English why not get the better game gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a field grade in the box w all the tags and paperwork. Been shot but pretty mint. Doesnt really fit my collection, sooooo might sell
it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not game guns but trap and live pigeon guns that competed back in the nineteenth century. Some Lefevers were there but it was mostly the Parkers and LC Smiths doing the heavy lifting.

Live bird and inanimate target competitions were major sporting events at the end of the 19th Century, and the “Top Guns” were the celebrity athletes. They shot for large sums of money before crowds of spectators, and the best could afford the best, which until about 1895 was considered to be a British gun. January 3, 1878 Capt. A.H. Bogardus broke 5000 glass balls at 18 yard’s rise in 10 hours 40 minutes 35 seconds, missing 163, using a W&C Scott with 3 1/2 dram 1 1/4 oz. 8s.

Jan., 1879 The Chicago Field Jamaica Plank Rd., L.I., New York
W&C Scott was the choice for most shooters with a pair of Remingtons and a Moore and a Williams & Powell. I regret to say the New Yorkers took the contest 100-93 though the birds were a good lot, and many being white, were difficult to hit while close to the snow.

First DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament October 1895

Fred Gilbert (L.C. Smith) and Charles “Hayward” Macalester (Purdey) tied at 25; Gilbert won the shoot-off 5/5 to 4/5. Charles Wagner (Parker), E.B. Coe (Smith), Capt. John L. Brewer (Greener), and A.H. King (Scott Monte Carlo) tied at 24; Wagner won the shoot-off taking 3rd place. Harvey McMurchy was undoubtedly pleased when he learned that Gilbert won the Du Pont trophy, using a Smith gun. It is also gratifying to us to know that the big prize was won by a gentleman sportsman using an American made gun, which was loaded with American made smokeless powder, shot and wadding, in American made shells.

By the middle of 1895, U.S. maker's guns were being used more than British guns, and at the head of the parade was Hunter Arms Co.'s L.C. Smith. Three Iowans, Fred Gilbert, Charles Budd, and Charles Grimm; Rolla Heikes and Charles Young of Ohio, “Jack” Fanning of San Francisco, and Harvey McMurchy had been or were currently using Smith guns to win major tournament and Cup challenges.

I could go on but enough said. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.