Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#500479 01/05/18 05:03 AM
dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Why are so many J. Dickson round actions sleeved?

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps because they were originally made with light barrels, so you add wear and tear and you get the need for replacement or sleeving.

Further they are lovely Guns and people will buy them sleeved if nothing else is available is affordable.

I dont favour sleeving, but recognize it as a valid solution if properly done maintaining good handling characteristics

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Light barrels, when lapped, are rapidly out of proof.
Sleeving was a relatively economical fix.
It may also be that those are the guns going down the road.
The few Dickson guns that have crossed my path were not sleeved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the cost of replacing the barrels as compared to sleeving leaves little option to most owners

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were ~2000 RAs made. The sample of RAs is small compared to other guns. Additionally, quite a few were Damascus. There seems to be more RAs available now that aren't sleeved compared to 8 years ago.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose being made as a light gun has something to do with it. My Dickson, circa 1943 has the original 28" barrels and does have one spot under 20k on one barrel. The gun weighs in at six pounds even.
That is light.
Also it was the thing for other Maker's to do as well. I think Boss struck their barrels down to make them light and balanced.
Also remember that lot's of these guns were made in the hey day of driven shooting when people would spend a week shooting driven birds and the bag was tremendous in those days thus firing hundreds of rounds a week.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

They're a good seller so maybe worth sleeving from a financial point of view where you'd not bother with a run of the mill boxlock.
BP and corrosive primers may not have helped the early ones either.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

In general, Dickson RA guns had thin tubes to begin with, as mentioned. I would venture a guess that many left the shop with barrels under 25 thou. Lap them out very much and they are a candidate for sleeving...
I have been keeping a close eye on Dickson guns for a few years and the vast majority have quite thin walls if the barrels are original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because so many are old and have not been looked after as well as they should have been , same as with most 100 year old gns . But as they were made in much smaller numbers the percentage looks higher than say H&H or Purdey or even Webley .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Blue Grouse has hit the problem in the nose. They started out so thin when made they are in effect half worn out before their first shot. Had their barrels been .035 to start far fewer would need sleeving but they would not be such a wonderful gun to shoot with thicker barrels.

To sleeve or to re-barrel comes down to simple money decisions. What does a sleeve job cost a small fraction of a sleeve job? As a Dealer I am sure it is easier to sell a sleeved gun over a re-barreled gun with the difference being thousands of pounds. I have a sleeved gun which if not marked would be impossible to know it was sleeved. Even the blackening is a perfect match, which all too often is not the case.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.