April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marks_21, Tim in PA, smp190, Argo44, PALUNC, 1 invisible), 259 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,040
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, if you're a left hander your options are very limited in a flinter. Limited pretty much to the one you have or a Lyman GPR, not much else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice Lloyd. I'm still trying with the flintlock, and holding out for a buck until the last couple days. Sounds like next week is going to be even colder than this week. It's the best time of the year to be out, and you can often hunt all day without ever seeing another hunter. After all of the other seasons are over, the deer are as spooked and wary as they will ever be. It really is an accomplishment to get a nice buck with a flinter now. I haven't flushed even one grouse in regular firearms or flintlock deer season, which is very unusual and troubling.

I too am glad that Pennsylvania never ruined the muzzleloader season by permitting anything other than flintlocks. They do have a one week early muzzleloader season in October that permits the use of in-lines and percussion guns, but that is a doe season only. Very appropriate, because you have to be a female or have female traits to hunt with an in-line anyway.

What kind of rifle is that? I know the patchbox is not T/C.

Edit: I see you have identified the left hand flinter.

Last edited by keith; 01/02/18 07:42 PM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice job, Lloyd.

A lung shot that entered the right side? Bullet or patched round ball?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Stan, not one of my finer moments sadly. The animal was quartering away from me to my left and I didn't lead him properly (to account for the extra time a flintlock ignition takes). The .45 sabot hit him way too-far back and it required a finishing shot. He's a mess on the other side. If I ever were to commission a gun, I would need to move the sights down the barrel a bit to keep things in better focus (saw some like that at Dixons & liked 'em.)

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/02/18 09:55 PM.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith:

I am really sorry to hear that you're not seeing any grouse back there as I never even cut a track this year. I wasn't ever in what I would call classic grouse cover, but still...it is troubling. Penn's woods in winter was always a treat to hunt grouse in over Christmas break as it was always great fun to get outdoors in the brisk weather and have it all to yourself. Easily the high point of the season for me back then. I do hope the Game Commission actually figures this out for a change.

On the good-news side of things, last year the weight of my flinter was actually something of a problem due to my lower back issues. This year was night and day different. If anything I seem to be doing better over time, which is very heartening considering that I turn 60 tomorrow. Stem-cells are something of a minor-miracle in my book now.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/02/18 10:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good for you, Lloyd. Should make Grousemas easier, as well.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Lloyd:

Tell us more about stem cells! I am falling apart and need help. At least you have access to medical mj for pain management where you live! Here, it is not available.

Have a great New Year,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd;
I'm just messin with you....Nice deer and nice gun....I stopped hunting deer years ago....don't have the heart for it anymore along with CWD all over the place here...

BTW I have a Austin Halleck flint and percussion..They are nice guns for production guns.....cant remember if they made any lefties or not....

gunut
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice buck Lloyd and a great time to be out in the woods. No late MZ season for me this year. The place I hunt moved the season to Oct. Then re-opened it in Dec. after saying it would be closed. I would have bought a tag had I known. Great character in that rack too, love the kicker.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Franchi: They are calling it "restorative medicine" out here and using it on just about any type of pain-inducing structural damage in the body. In my case, they drilled a hole in my hip and extracted bone-marrow (they then concentrate the adult stem-cells by centrifuging the marrow) to treat a spinal-stenosis induced (along with a bad fall) problem with my L3-L4 facet joints. Insurance won't cover it (of course!) so it's an out-of-pocket expense of $4 to 5K. CBD oil (a non-THC marijuana) was probably my next stop if this hadn't worked.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/03/18 01:42 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.