All of the doubles I currently own can be loaded without having to "Hold the Gun Open". The few I have had in the past which required this didn't stay around long, I can well live without that inconvenience. Any break open gun should of course have an efficient & effective barrel check/stop. I have seen a few which didn't but they were mostly older hammer guns. In opening the gum simply always push the barrels open to the stop, it will be cocked (If not, send it to the Smith).
I "Never Ever" carry a gun afield with the barrels open. Should one inadvertently slip & fall an open gun is much more liable to damage than one securely bolted shut.
I recall just such an event occurring to me once. I was navigating a wooded hillside when I stepped on a small rock covered by leaves. The rock rolled underfoot throwing me off balance & both me & my gum took a nasty tumble. The gun was "loaded & locked". We both survived the ordeal with only minor scrapes & scratches. The gun Did Not Jar Off, perhaps due to those top hung Large Hook Lefever sears. I would have been much more concerned of damage to the gun had it been open, perhaps even the fore-end lug may have been bent from the barrel leverage had it landed "Just Wrong".
Perhaps I look at things a bit different than many here, but keep in mind that about 98% of my shotgun use has come in the woods & fields with no more than that remaining 2% being fired at an inanimate object while on totally smooth footing. Should you encounter me afield with a gun in my hand, "EXPECT" it to be Loaded, Bolted Shut & the Safety On.