April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 428 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my online perusing of fine guns, I've been seeing many beautiful 10 gauge doubles at fair prices. They range in weight from 8 lb, to a beautiful behemoth of 10.25 lbs! I believe I've read that the standard 10 ga 2 7/8" load was 1 1/4 oz of shot. Was this altered based on weight? A 10 lb gun with 100 thou walls would seem to be designed for a heavier charge than a 8 lb double. Any ideas? As a duck hunter, a double capable of a heavy charge appeals to me..... well, ok all doubles appeal to me lol. But those especially

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive got one load I shoot in all my double 10's. 1 1/4 oz of shot on top of Green Dot powder and a Federal 209A. Remington SP10 wad. No filler needed and great looking 2 7/8 in crimps. All I ever change is the shot size.or type.

Sidelock
Sidelock

10 G 2 7/8 inch increased shot weight from Black Powder era 1 1/4 oz to 1 3/8 oz when progressive powders were introduced in the 1930s. Increasing even more when the shell was expanded to 3 1/2 inch. Search on line you can probably find specific details. Double Gun Journal ran a 2 part series on Ithaca’s Super 10 that has detail on loads.

I prefer Black Powder ballistic equilvent 1 1/4 oz 2 7/8 inch loads using Green Dot, or 1 1/8 oz target loads with Red Dot. You could load heavier but thickness of metal is only one thing to consider. One of my short 10s, now restored, came to me with stock problems from heavy loads. 2 others are Damascus, probably safe with heavy loads but see no reason to push them.

Parker club web site is perhaps the best source of current short 10 information including recent pressure test of Green Dot and Red Dot loads.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 12/23/17 07:15 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I might enjoy a well struck 8 - 8 1/2 lb. ten, but having owned a 32" barreled, 10 + lb. damascus Smith previously, I don't want another, even for ducks. I loaded for mine using IMR 7625 and Rem 3 1/2" hulls cut down to yield 2 7/8" load. I could get it moving quickly enough to chase down a crossing woodie, but it was tough, and I felt kinda stupid doing it because I had other doubles that were so much better suited. Used it in the turkey woods a time or two, and in Arkansas on mallards. It really did come close to handling like a pig on a shovel.

I used nothing but S. Bell's recipes from his articles in the DGJ. It was used as trade fodder for my 32" Smith 16 ga. FWE.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/23/17 08:47 AM. Reason: grammar

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

as said above- look to the reloading forum on the Parker board - some of us have had additional loads tested with more available powders-

my tens range from 9 to 10 1/2 pounds and handle fine- look at the 6 frame Parker in the new issues of DGJ- the smaller of the two big boys in our shooting group - 10ga day at the marsh is always fun.

an ounce and a quarter of bismuth or tungsten will deliver a solid killing shot on a duck at a distance past my shooting confidence, and while our clays club limits loads to an ounce and an eight, when you see a long distance target just disappear you get an appreciation for the pattern the extra full chokes can deliver

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that in the early years of the 10 gauge 2 5/8" was also a standard chambering. The "Heavy" load for a 10 in the black powder era was 5 drams with 1 1/4 oz of shot. Lighter powder charges were available as well as 1 1/8 oz loads as in that time frame the 10 was often carried as a field gun. My only 10 gauge is a circa 1890 E grade Lefever 10 lb gun with 32" Damascus barrels "&" 3" chambers. I suspect this gun was ordered with those chambers as in that period of time chambers could be pretty well ordered to suit the whim of the user & to my knowledge 3" has never been a standard in the 10, so unlikely it would have been Re-chambered to that length at a later date.
That 8 lb 10 may well have 2 5/8" chambers & have been built as a field gun. I once saw & was able to pick up & handle a Barber & Lefever 10 gauge hammer gun. This gun had 28" barrels & though i was not able to weigh it I seriously doubt if it exceeded 7 1/2 lbs. I would have loved to have had that gun, but unfortunately it wasn,t for sale. A serious Lefever Collector had it on display at a Gun Show in Nashville TN way back when the TN Gun Collectors Association put on some pretty good shows there. About the only shows anywhere close around this area now are just "Black Guns" & such. Not sure if the TGCA even still exists now or not, I seriously doubt it. -

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/24/17 02:43 PM. Reason: Corrected double posting

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Note that in the early years of the 10 gauge 2 5/8" was also a standard chambering. The "Heavy" load for a 10 in the black powder era was 5 drams with 1 1/4 oz of shot. Lighter powder charges were available as well as 1 1/8 oz loads as in that time frame the 10 was often carried as a field gun. My only 10 gauge is a circa 1890 E grade Lefever 10 lb gun with 32" Damascus barrels "&" 3" chambers. I suspect this gun was ordered with those chambers as in that period of time chambers could be pretty well ordered to suit the whim of the user & to my knowledge 3" has never been a standard in the 10, so unlikely it would have been Re-chambered to that length at a later date.
That 8 lb 10 may well have 2 5/8" chambers & have been built as a field gun. I once saw & was able to pick up & handle a Barber & Lefever 10 gauge hammer gun. This gun had 28" barrels & though i was not able to weigh it I seriously doubt if it exceeded 7 1/2 lbs. I would have loved to have had that gun, but unfortunately it wasn,t for sale. A serious Lefever Collector had it on display at a Gun Show in Nashville TN way back when the TN Gun Collectors Association put on some pretty good shows there. About the only shows anywhere close around this area now are just "Black Guns" & such. Not sure if the TGCA even still exists now or not, I seriously doubt it. -

Note that in the early years of the 1 gauge 2 5/8" was also a standard chambering. The "Heavy" load for a 10 in the black powder era was 5 drams with 1 1/4 oz of shot. Lighter powder charges were available as well as 1 1/8 oz loads as in that time frame the 10 was often carried as a field gun. My only 10 gauge is a circa 1890 E grade Lefever 10 lb gun with 32" Damascus barrels "&" 3" chambers. I suspect this gun was ordered with those chambers as in that period of time chambers could be pretty well ordered to suit the whim of the user & to my knowledge #' has never been a standard i the 10, so unlikely it would have been Re-chambered to that length at a later date.
That 8 lb 10 may well have 2 5/8" chambers & have been built as a field gun. I once saw & was able to pick up & handle a Barber & Lefever 10 gauge hammer gun. This gun had 28" barrels & though i was not able to weigh it I seriously doubt if it exceeded 7 1/2 lbs. I would have loved to have had that gun, but unfortunately it was,t for sale. A serious Lefever Collector had it on display at a Gun Show in Nashville TN way back when the TN Gun Collectors Association put on some pretty goos shows there. About the only shows anywhere close aroud this area now are just "Black Guns" & such. Not sure if the TGCA even still exists now or not, I seriously doubt it. -

that is the most double post of all double posts eek

i have one - a JP Clabrough & Bros that has 2 5/8" - all my Parkers have been 2 7/8, even the one with barrels marked 6lbs 7 oz-

no doubt a gun like that could have been lengthened if the customer asked for it

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a two-barrel set and included were the owner's loads from 1890. Perhaps someone can transcribe the prescription?

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Union Metallic Cartridge Co. began offering factory loaded shotgun shells, circa 1891, They offered 10-gauge shells loaded with as much as 5 drams of powder and 1 1/4 ounce of shot. By the 1893 catalog where the SMOKELESS and TRAP shells loaded with smokeless powders were charted separately from the CLUB black powder shells, the heaviest smokeless powder loads offered were 3 3/4 drams pushing 1 1/4 ounces of shot. For 1905, UMC upped the maximum 10-gauge load in their ARROW shell to 4 drams of bulk smokeless powder pushing 1 1/4 ounce of shot. The next year UMC upped the maximum 10-gauge load in their ARROW shell again to 4 1/4 drams of bulk smokeless powder (or 34 grains of dense smokeless powder such as Infallible or Ballistite) pushing 1 1/4 ounce of shot. That remained the heaviest smokeless powder 10-gauge load offered until Western Cartridge Co. introduced their high velocity, progressive burning powder, Super-X Super-Ten load of 1 5/8 ounce of shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://books.google.com/books?id=hrRMAA...206&f=false

Curtis & Harvey No. 6 is a wonderful black powder of olde

For 12 Bore
3 Drams of Curtis & Harvey No 4
black grease proof wad
3/8 inch thick felt wad
card wad
1 1/8 ounce nos. 8, 7, or 6 shot
Card wad

For 10 Bore
3 1/2 drams of Curtis & Harvey #6
Filler wad
3/8 inch thick felt wad
soft wad
1 1/8 ounce nos. 8, 7, or 6 shot
Card wad

Who else can correct these or add more words ?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/23/17 06:11 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.