Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Lubzinski
The gun in the pic weighs 9 1/4 lbs with 32" barrels.Built in the seventies.I found it in as new,possibly unfired condition,a couple years ago at a local gun show.Used it last week to lower four snow geese from 45-50 yards.Have lengthened the forcing cones and opened chokes to 25 and 30 thou to better digest heavy steel loads.

It just looks so small in the hand compared to my 10+ pound 10s, what a great find!!

TM

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Lubzinski
Sorry for the delay in comeback.Unfortunately my picture hosting sight has crapped out on me so I can't ad any pics until I find another sight.Of all the various magnum 10 doubles out there the AYA's seem to be the lightest at around nine lbs and one of mine has digested heavy factory loads for about 15 years and is still rock solid and the top lever right of center.Some of the other makers can be up to 11 lbs which is overkill and cumbersome.I believe the AYA 10 was built to specs provided by Elmer Keith.

Terry, I ended up getting an AyA 10 gauge in trade today that has been used very little and a bunch of 10 gauge bismuth and steel loads. I haven't weighed it yet but I like the way it handles...far better than the Neumann. I'm very curious to get it to a pattern board. Maybe I will get a Beretta later or not but I will take this hunting for geese, crane and turkey. Thanks again for your comments on the topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Bryan,I just happened to check the sight a couple minutes after you posted.Period break during a hockey game...I hope the AYA works a well for you as they have for me.I found the stock dimensions fitted me well and the gun handles pretty good for a big gun.They are usually choked full & full with about 45 thou of choke which is quite a bit for a double barrel to handle with large steel shot without having bulging issues.Hence my opening the chokes up to 25 and 30 which still throws full choke patterns.No problem if you use bismuth.Lengthening the forcing cones I believe also reduces the pressure on the action by easing the flow of steel shot through the cones into the barrels.I won't use larger than BB shot and prefer to stay with #2's mainly.
Have fun and let me know how it works out for you.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good find. That AyA looks like it would handle a little better also.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good points Terry. I need to measure the chokes (labeled as full and full) and consider the mods you made. My triggers are pretty heavy. I need to measure them and consider having them lightened. I also prefer #2's but want to see how it patterns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who would you recommend for opening choke, forcing cone and trigger work? Briley?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think that Kirk Merrington would a good choice especially for the trigger work.Not sure if he is taking work but certainly has an excellent reputation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I'm also checking with ADM gunsmithing locally. They have a good reputation and were previously employed by Churchill in London.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought an Eibar 10ga sxs for geese about 25 years ago after steel shot first came out. I knew the full chokes would be too tight, so I found a gunsmith who was willing to work with me to get the best chokes. We reamed them out about 5 thou at a time, then I would pattern it over the weekend and bring the gun back. It was interesting watching the pattern shape and density change with each ream. The original pattern was an oblong group with a very tight center and no shot at all in two of the 30 inch quadrants Finally got a perfectly round evenly dense pattern of 73% with steel BB's in the Federal 1 5/8 oz load, which tightened up to 85% with T's. I reamed the right barrel one more time, and it opened up to 66% with BB's and 75% with T's. That's where I stopped. I have killed many geese over the years with the BB's out to 60 yards, many in as close as 30 over dekes, and never felt the need to shoot T's. The BB's killed them dead at 60. The only downside is the gun weights 10 1/2 lbs with 32 inch bbls and reeling it up out of the pit is like deploying the guns of Navaronne. Takes a little time, but once its on, it hits. The point of all this is I would recommend the cut and pattern approach to reaming out your chokes, instead of taking a blind cut and hoping it gives you what you want. I suppose choke tubes would give you the same look and see option. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Lima,you did it the right way with having a gunsmith nearby to be able to keep checking patterns. I'm curious to know how much choke you ended up with in thousandths of an inch,to get the desired patterns.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.