April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (buckstix, Jem Finch, Vall, 2 invisible), 1,052 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Fellas,

Ive a shooting friend who recently purchased a very nice condition Cogswell & Harrison false side-plated 12 ga. boxlock c. 1908-1909 to serve as a shooter. It is still current in proof with a 12 and nominal bore measurements of .730 and .731 respectively. It has all of its original nitro-proof stamps (1904 Rules) that includes: NITRO PROOF 1-1/8 OZ.

I was asked to fly-speck the barrels prior to his purchase, as I have the various gauges, and was surprised to find the chambers at a measured 2-3/4. The lead-ins to the forcing cones begin right at that measurement and are of the short (approx. ) length that one often sees from guns of that era. In short, everything about the gun and bores looks straight-up original right down to the level of polish within the cones themselves. The minimum wall thickness over both forcing cone lead-ins is .115, the barrels overall have MWT of .034, and weigh 3 lb. 4 oz. with their 30 tubes..which makes for a pretty stout set.

Finding the longer chamber length still has me thinking that I should be seeing the heavier nitro proof stamp of: NITRO PROOF 1-1/4 OZ. ..and Im looking for some guidance. Ive gone all through Wirnsbergers book on proof marks and am still left with the question as to whether the London House would ever put the lesser proof stamp for a 2-1/2 inch gun on one sporting 2-3/4 chambers? My suspicion is that they would not, but wouldnt mind being corrected by those more knowledgable. The owner is completely content with the longer chambers, and would use the same lower pressure loads that he now uses in his other vintage gun.

Any thoughts on this nitro-proof stamping ???

Rob Harris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robt. Harris
Hi Fellas,

Ive a shooting friend who recently purchased a very nice condition Cogswell & Harrison false side-plated 12 ga. boxlock c. 1908-1909 to serve as a shooter. It is still current in proof with a 12 and nominal bore measurements of .730 and .731 respectively. It has all of its original nitro-proof stamps (1904 Rules) that includes: NITRO PROOF 1-1/8 OZ.

I was asked to fly-speck the barrels prior to his purchase, as I have the various gauges, and was surprised to find the chambers at a measured 2-3/4. The lead-ins to the forcing cones begin right at that measurement and are of the short (approx. ) length that one often sees from guns of that era. In short, everything about the gun and bores looks straight-up original right down to the level of polish within the cones themselves. The minimum wall thickness over both forcing cone lead-ins is .115, the barrels overall have MWT of .034, and weigh 3 lb. 4 oz. with their 30 tubes..which makes for a pretty stout set.

Finding the longer chamber length still has me thinking that I should be seeing the heavier nitro proof stamp of: NITRO PROOF 1-1/4 OZ. ..and Im looking for some guidance. Ive gone all through Wirnsbergers book on proof marks and am still left with the question as to whether the London House would ever put the lesser proof stamp for a 2-1/2 inch gun on one sporting 2-3/4 chambers? My suspicion is that they would not, but wouldnt mind being corrected by those more knowledgable. The owner is completely content with the longer chambers, and would use the same lower pressure loads that he now uses in his other vintage gun.

Any thoughts on this nitro-proof stamping ???

Rob Harris

I doubt they would ever understate the chamber lengths. If they did it once and it was a known fact what would stop someone from cleaning up a pit or two by going from 2 /1/2-2 3/4? Then claiming the barrels had always been that long to begin with. I'd measure the wall thickness where they were reamed out just to make sure it's not too thin.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your evidence points to a lengthened chamber, that has been that way for a long time. It is most definitely out of proof. That means you can't sell it in England. If it is beat up and a little loose, somebody probably shot whatever would go in the chambers in it. If it's in good shape, user took care of it and didn't use cases of 1 1/4 super-X through it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Almost certainly lengthened since proof. Never come across a genuine 2 3/4" marked for 1 1/8 oz. But, as they say, there is always a first time! And I have seen plenty of Proof House mistakes over the years.
Nowadays the pressure for 65mm & 70mm proof is the same but I am pretty sure that wasn't the case back then.

Sidelock
Sidelock

British Service and Proof pre-1925
12g 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 chambers (bore .710-.740) for a maximum service load of 3 1/4 Dram Eq. with 1 1/4 oz. shot. (1220 fps)
https://books.google.com/books?id=inQCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA296&dq
Definitive Proof 6 1/2 Drams Proof-House Black Powder with 1 2/3 oz. No. 6 shot = 10,100 psi + 10 - 14%
Supplementary Nitro Proof with 4 1/2 Drams of C&H No. 2 T.S. powder and 1 2/3 oz. shot = 16,400 psi + 10-14%

That certainly compares with modern 12g service and proof loads

Post- 1925 the 2 1/2 & 2 5/8 12g max. service load was reduced to 3 Dr. Eq. with 1 1/8 oz. shot with a mean pressure of 3 1/4 tons by LUP = 9,682 psi by Burrards conversion.

Wall thickness of .115" at the end of the chamber and at the forcing cones by all recommendations is adequate.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to 'Thank' you fellas for confirming what I suspected..... your explanations furthering my overall understanding. As I mentioned, the owner is content with the lengthened chambers as he really likes the gun's stock dimensions, overall condition, etc., so nothing will come of this other than his learning to get the vetting done prior to conclusion of a purchase. Again, my 'Thanks' to you.....

All Best,

Rob Harris

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.