March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#495547 11/22/17 09:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Dec 2017 issue of the American Rifleman has a very nice illustrated article on Savage's introduction of a high quality but affordable US-made Fox double.

The new Fox A-Grade (for now) has a steel CCH action, DT's selective ejectors, walnut straight-grip stock and your choice of 12 or 20 gauge with either 26" or 28" barrels.

The new Fox is being made for Savage by Tony Galazan of Connecticut Shotgun Co fame, who has been making very expensive high-grade A.H.Fox double for quite a while now.

This new Fox is nothing like the older Savage Fox Model A that was based on the Stevens 311, as it's action is based on CSC's RBL series of double guns.

Since the suggested MSRP is $4995, I'd be interested to find out what the street price will eventually be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is based on the RBL, it will not be a Fox. Savage is just whoring out the name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on now ......... it's just as much a Fox as a Savage Fox Model B. grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It may be a nice gun, but if it is based on the RBL, it won't be a Fox, except in name. Tony makes a great Fox---you can get one for about $14K last time I looked. Probably gone up by now. Or, you can buy an original Fox and rebuild it to your specs from the ground up, adding stock work, engraving, metal shaping, custom chokes, a single trigger, and a neon front sight, as desired (or not). $10K might get you one you like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is old news, eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of recycled verbiage from the April article, so Keefe saved himself some time at the word processor.

The incredible thing is that the gun shot right where he pointed it except at the patterning board where it appeared to shoot about a foot low.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I don't understand why they would try to recreate the legendary Fox and then NOT make it in 16 gauge??? I mean I understand the popularity/sales issues with the 16, but it seems like if you're going to "bring back" a gun like this (even in name only), the thing to do would be to build it in what I feel is its notorious gauge. Fox...16...perfect.

Again, I understand the economics, but Browning at least put forth the effort with their re-release of the "Sweet 16".

Just my two cents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You really answered your own question. It is the economics.

The answer on 16 is simple, the 20s will sell far better.

Nationwide the16 double is too narrow market for Savage.

I love 16 and have shot little else for years, but I am a realist

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fellows, I also read the Rifleman article and can't for the life of me understand how they think that (basically Sterlingworth)totally non-Fox design will sell when you can buy a real Fox for 40% of their retail price.They scrapped the two features that allowed the Fox frame to be so light,to wit, the top extension and the sliding cocking lug, ala Facile Princeps Greener.What is so hard about making the gun to the original design as opposed to a basic A&D action that everybody and his brother already makes. I have always thought that if you could have gotten the English to build a Fox using their methods, you Would have had the 'the best gun in the world'. Happy Thanksgiving , Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, the new A Grades supposedly weigh right around 6#, 20ga with 28" barrels. I have one coming shortly for review. I've only handled one, and I'd say that the 6# estimate is pretty good . . . which makes them from several ounces up to half a pound or more lighter than a Parker Reproduction 20ga--and those guns were exact copies of the original.

Yes, what you have is an American-made A&D that Savage chooses to call a Fox A Grade. (As pointed out above, Savage called a Stevens a Fox Model B a long time ago.) Wrapped in a pretty nice package. Meanwhile, AyA's A&D, the 4/53, will now set you back about $2,000 more than this new, American-made A Grade. And you won't touch an original Fox A Grade 20ga with ejectors for the same price.

I'll let you know what I think when I get my hands on one.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.