March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz, SKB), 331 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had a line on an Elio not long ago that seemed about perfect--except for the single trigger. I passed. At 6.25# either gun would probably handle loads a bit above 1 oz more comfortably than my current 6-pound 12 and 16s.

Jones, I'd probably open those chokes up quite a bit if I got the VB!

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: billwolfe
I had a line on an Elio not long ago that seemed about perfect--except for the single trigger. I passed. At 6.25# either gun would probably handle loads a bit above 1 oz more comfortably than my current 6-pound 12 and 16s.

Jones, I'd probably open those chokes up quite a bit if I got the VB!

Bill

My Elio has double triggers, but one thing I've noticed on the gun is that the wrist of the English stock is much thicker and chunkier than my other doubles. I would guess this has to do with the recoil in such lightweight guns, or it could be because of the stock through bolt (I heard the later versions of the Bernies had these, though I've never tried to take the stock off either).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hemingway is the way to go...Forget about resale, its not enough money to worry about...I kill all of my Roosters with 1 oz loads..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening chrome barrels is 'less that ideal' which is all I'll say about that.

I'd be inclined to look for a Hemingway that's choked more like the gun was originally intended to be re the above ad.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know if a 1986 Cabela's Hemingway would have chrome lined barrels? The AD posted above doesn't mention them, and neither did the seller, either in the listing or in the amail he sent responding to my inquiry. I've emailed him and asked him to check.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure they all are. I could be wrong.

Mine was a 28ga. gun of similar vintage and it was chromed, per John Boyd at Quality Arms in Houston who imported it.

You might ask John, arrieta2 here. He's a personable chap.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, assume they are chrome lined. To my knowledge all or most of them in that time were. Good guns with a through bolt in the stock. Strong. Butt ugly wood with some sort of plastic finish. The Webley 700 is also a good gun (I've owned a number of them. Usually plain wood with a subpar oil finish but durable. Engraving on the Bernadelli is stamped in. The Webley is hand cut, though quickly executed. Between the two I lean towards the Webley, maybe I'm snobbish, dunno. Both guns will probably be chambered 2 3/4".

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had a couple of Gamecocks and both were chrome lined. No problems with either gun just didn't care for the 25 1/2" barrels. Currently have both a Brescia and a Italia hammer gun. Both of those are also chrome lined. I had the chokes opened on the Brescia with no issues.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike Orlen told me that he has no issues with cutting through chrome lined bores when doing forcing cone and choke work. He says true chrome lining actually becomes part of the metal, and cannot peel or flake later, if cut through. He told me not to think about it like you do a chromed car bumper ......... that it's not the same at all.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Husky 310AS
Inexpensive, light, overhanging sears, high quality steel
You're welcome!
Best Regards,
JBP

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.