April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jerry G, Oberndorf), 992 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#493959 11/05/17 10:48 AM
felix Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Question: Anybody been there ?
Either via/with a commercial agent or private arrangement.
The few videoclips in Youtube look amateurish.
Background: All these Siberian ducks winter south of
the Himalayas.
India had worldfamous Bharatpur duck hotspot, built up
by the Maharaja owning this place/region, Internet shows
this incredible bag stories, since 1982 bird-watchig
sancturary.
Now, neighbouring Pakistan has the eastern province
Punjab (means five rivers)and the fertile Indus river
plains. Where there is water, there are ducks.
I am not aware of any commercial offerings like for
Argentina. Is this an unknown Argentina++ ?
I am aware of political sensitivity at present times..
Any sincere and open minded feed back will be appreciated.
No interest in big bags , but rather in diversity of
game and scenery.
(Alaska/Aleutan islands would be yet on my to-look-do list,
but I am freezing looking on the videoclips)
Felix Neuberger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aleutian Green Winged teal are on any duck hunter's dream list. Harly's too, but they are easier.

As far as Paki duck hunting, I've not met anyone in my travels that mentioned it. Many talk of duck hunting in Cuba or Mexico.

I'll float the subject amongst my fellow travelers at the club Wednesday.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They'd have to draft me to get me into the middle east nowadays...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Felix, I was in Pakistan for 3.5 years in the mid-1970's in Karachi. I saw the overthrow Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto by Zia ul Haq and thought Benazir Bhutto to be really hot when she was 22. I took a Browning automatic 12 gauge with 30" barrels with me in 1975 but never used It and sold it before I left. I had a great great time there.

I was back after 9/11 for about a total of a year in country over several years in several cities including Karachi. As I said, I loved traveling in that country and really like Pakistan. There are Bhuddist tombs never explored north of Peshawar; Streams are still stocked with trout British style NE of Timergara and north of the Swat Valley.

In the 1970's I walked the streets of Karachi everywhere. I sat with repair guys as they hammered dents out of my Pak-made Jeep. You still see tourists to this day going up to the Shandur polo tournament between Gilgit and Chitral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_dcZuRRBM. And I'd think the Indus Delta would be a great place to hunt birds. Not nearly the population levels of the Punjab. Yet I'd be careful. The country has spiraled into competing ethnic and religious mafias and only the Military remains a national institution.

Pakistan is South Asia...not Middle East though it sometimes pretends to be.

April 1978 in Baluchistan south of Dera Bugti (where I wasn't supposed to be) the day before Da'ud Khan was overthrown by the Parcham Communists in Kabul setting off the Afghan War. (Cribbed the cut off photo from my brother's post on Randall Knives. http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57968..I need to scan the original again).

Check out the .303 SMLE Enfleids.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/05/17 03:20 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Pakistan is South Asia...not Middle East though it sometimes pretends to be.

You're right of course, but if it walks like an duck and quacks like a duck...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I went hunting in the Derajat...near Dera Ismail Khan...won't say how or for what because I'm a bit embarrassed to be shooting anything from a jeep.. But here are a couple of modern videos from the web.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzqmfvlGaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEvlFzTkzl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhcCNL4gu10

the food is fantastic - Punjabi or Sindhi - if you don't get giardia or amoeba easily.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/05/17 10:58 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Huntourage .com (out of Lebanon) has packages.
I liked the look of the 3 day quail trip.
I'd consider it if any of you wanted to try it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

getducks.com has a sold out trip in Dec. 2017. Maybe something will be available next year. Email to find out.

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone bites on this, let me know as I might well be in attendance.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

How do you describe Pakistan...the British colonial legacy, the Sind Club and it's "deep-end" with the snooker tables where women weren't allowed and you had to "dress" for dinner, the muhajirs who came up from Bombay after 1947 with their sari's and sophistication, the small Christian communities..especially the Goa'ns. We would go out on a "bunder-boat into Karachi harbor at the time...get drunk...all the few Europeans in the town ....while the bunder-boaters made curry out of the crab, mussels, etc. we caught.

Pakistan has grown since then. Still it has the Indus (and in Sind it's more like the Nile flowing through a desert)... And it has the Delta, the Thar Parkar desert. It is the sub-continent. and from the passes up above Gilgit to the Baluch desolation it's worth seeing.

The legend goes when Napier against orders took over Sind Province for the Brits...he sent a telegram to London saying "I have Sind." The Pak insult for a Sindi is "If you come across a cobra and a Sindhi at a crossroads, shoot the Sindhi first." and the homily, "buy a Pathan, lead a Punjabi, treat a Baluch with respect, shoot a Sindhi." (The Bhutto family were Sindhi)

I could be tempted by your trip gentlemen...but might be back there anyway at that time. I can post dozens of photos. It's worth consideration.

Just be careful in the Pashtun areas. And Karachi is about 1/4 Pashtun, 1/4 Baluch, 1/4 Sindhi and 1/4 Muhajir. The Muhajire control the place. very moderate though they have their militias.

"Shooting" at the time was British-like gentlemanly with servants and beaters - I'll explain it later. Take your golf clubs....they were sand courses in 1975...not now. GW in Islamabad, 2007

Last edited by Argo44; 11/09/17 12:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.