April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (bushveld, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 781 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,141
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
4 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#493844 11/04/17 08:34 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my search for a suitable hammer pigeon gun I am seriously considering going to the Vegas show Jan. 19-21, '18. Considering is the key word, as I am not interested in flying there just to walk and look at a variety of guns for three days. This is really a quest for a particular gun. It would be great to meet some of you on here who regularly attend, and it may just happen, but I need a question answered as straightforwardly as possible, from those who have actual experience there. I was recently told by a pigeon shooter and writer of high regard that he quit going 10 years ago "when the military guys took over" the show. He said prior to that it had been a great place to buy high quality English doubles, but he could not say what it has been like in the past 10 years.

Is this show still the best one in the States to look for a high condition and quality 12 bore S x S hammer pigeon gun, or has it become just another conglomeration of black guns and militaria? I really would appreciate feedback from those of you who go each year, regarding this specific search.

Thanks all, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use to go every year, I have not been there in sometime. Most of the major dealers went, but I stay in touch with many and they do not go. All say its not like it was, too long a trip and poor sales have kept them away. I am fortunate that I was going when it really was something

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Bienfeld [sp??] show in January is the best one that I know of for doubles. I attend every year, and usually have a table. I don't see anything resembling a "military guy take over" Most of the largest used double dealers will be there along with a very large bunch of guys like most of us, displaying items of interest. I recommend it highly. Stop by the Lefever group tables and see some interesting items. The show is now held in the Westgate which offers a great, well lighted facility for showing guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Las Vegas Antique Arms Show is different from most any other gun show I have been to. The name says it... Antique Arms. There are no significant "Black Guns", no camo, no jerky, no rubber tomahawks, Just antique guns, books, old ammo, and some old gun/western memorabilia and art. Just last year I found a Harrington and Richardson $300 grade double, and a Dan Wessen double, both for reasonable prices at the show. The Lefever Arms Collectors Association puts on an exhibit of guns you will not see elsewhere every year as do some other specialty clubs. The major auction houses are there with samples from upcoming auctions. Most of the big dealers are there with inventory that would take a lot of traveling to see if not for the show.

I am just hoping that the recent events in Las Vegas do not affect the show.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vegas is easy and cheap to get to. The Antique Arms show is a decent show that will give you probably the best chance to find what you are looking for. But as you know it will be hit or miss. Heck the gun shop down the road might have what you are looking for but the chances are extremely small. What Vegas does is concentrate several best chance dealers in one spot. You might go and find three of what you are after or go three times to find one.

The other thing is that like Tulsa or Louisville show it is hard to see everything. Easier to network with someone else who is at the show and go different directions. Use to do this with a friend who was interested in pre war II custom Springfield or Krags. If I found a decent one I'd call him, it he found a Lefever 20 ga. C grade or better he would call me. Still waiting for that call.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"... too long a trip and poor sales have kept them away..."

I suggest that the dealers look to their prices for a solution to sales problems. When I can do better at gunsinternational I feel little need to line some greedy dealer's pockets. The last time I attended was year before last and I saw not black guns but lotsa STUFF and overpriced crap. OK not all crap but the prices were mostly outrageous. It was way easy to avoid immmmmmpulse purchases. There were some lovely guns in the modern section tho but I didn't see many guns going out the door there either. Guess Why? Attendees seem to regard it as a social event to soften the blow of otherwise disappointment. You might pay attention to all the added fees that LV has seen fit to pile on hotel bills. The bargain show reserved rooms were not that wonderful anymore IMO. Maybe the new place is different.

AFA Tulsa is concerned me and tw and marshgurl were there twice together and I think I saw maybe four doubles. OK may a couple more than that but damn few. BUT (FWIW) the prices were not the royal gouge. I got a couple watch chains and some conchos and gun socks. Get the idea? But if you're into really zoot old rifles ...........

If a particular gun is still available and a particular dealer takes it to Vegas I may be there to chat with him about realistic pricing. Otherwise it seems not that important.

I miss the tent TTTT

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan -
Just noticed that the Reno show is next wkend. If I see a hammer gun there I'll let you know.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been to the Vegas show the last five years. You will have to look VERY hard to find a black rifle. The last one I saw was a custom wood stocked version by Turnbull. The show has two basic sections, one for the nationally advertised dealers and one with hundreds of tables of "private" sellers. There usually are a few new manufactures there as well, Fausti, Westley Richards, etc. I have found a couple of gems to add to my collection, last year a William Evans Paradox two barrel set and the year before, a Scott high grade Live Pigeon Gun. Both at what I consider fair prices. It is my opinion, you will see more antique SXS's at this show than any other single place. The show is also a gathering for the custom knife makers guild, if that is of interest. I strongly suggest at least two days to see everything. Friday and Saturday are best, or pay more and go on Thursday, set up day. I will be there on Thursday.
Good Hunting.

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

Add the Engravers Guild and Custom Gunmakers. Lots of talent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The way of the gunshow has changed dramatically with the increased use of the internet and the half dozen or so large auction houses. Even with that being said, the Vegas show remains one of the last high quality shows available for one to enjoy. It truly remains focused on traditional firearms not black rifles or "flea market" tables. I regularly attend and will continue to do so health permitting as this is one of the last places to see high numbers of quality firearms.

The location allows for lower cost transportation and the show's size helps increase the chances of finding the one-off item or gun we're all searching for. In my opinion it remains much more true to the old gunshow concept. I'm in my 70's and have to tell you it's nice to find so many others there sharing our love of firearms not to mention bumping into other collectors I've encountered over the years.

Good luck in your quest....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.