April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, NCTarheel, R. Glenz, bushveld, battle, 1 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recently used the USPS to ship some guns and everything worked as advertised. They are, however, fairly pricey anymore. Even if you don't massively insure the gun, figure on about $65-70 per shipment (this is about twice what it used to be IMHO). Interesting to note that when I observed how much more it now cost, I was told by a postal employee that the reason was because they used Fedex for delivery of packages like mine(!).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/02/17 05:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Recently used the USPS to ship some guns and everything worked as advertised. They are, however, fairly pricey anymore. Even if you don't massively insure the gun, figure on about $65-70 per shipment (this is about twice what it used to be IMHO). Interesting to note that when I observed how much more it now cost, I was told by a postal employee that the reason was because they used Fedex for delivery of packages like mine(!).

I ship guns via USPS fairly regularly. I don't recall ever paying more than $40, including insurance.

cpa #493770 11/02/17 10:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny - "time" is never a problem whenever I'm the sender, only when I'm the receiver...... laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeterMichael

Funny - "time" is never a problem whenever I'm the sender, only when I'm the receiver...... laugh

Really? . . . the sooner I can get a gun safely in the buyer's hands, the better. The way I figure it is that I'm selling a gun in a particular condition, as advertised, so I don't rest easy until it's delivered in the same state I shipped it.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have shipped too many guns over the years that I have sold but more often to have a repair or restoration performed. I have used priority mail in nearly all cases with the exception of shipping some very high value ones. I have NEVER had an issue with USPS. If the guns are valued at a lot more than $5,000 I use USPS Registered mail. You can ship via Registered Mail for less than Priority Mail and although it takes longer by a few days; it is as secure a means of shipping as exists. It will take longer but it is guaranteed to get there. My neighbor retired as a postmaster and related how he used to receive BAGS of gold bullion via Registered Mail! However, it is slower because it must go into a locked locker or bin and be signed for throughout its trip. The packaging requirements are not bad once you learn what they are. I wish I had discovered Registered Mail earlier in my gun ownership life. I would have saved a bundle!
I have also found that using USPS is by far the most economical when shipping a handgun. As long as you first go through an FFL and ship to an FFL it meets all postal regulation requirements. I then have used a medium size Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping box for about $15. Even adding in the outgoing FFL dealer's fees it is far less than UPS. UPS requires Overnight Express for handguns which is REAL PRICEY!

Last edited by WRE1; 11/04/17 07:34 PM.

W. R. Eddleman
Sidelock
Sidelock

If shipping is time sensitive be wary of registered mail. I shipped a gun I was returning that way once and it took over two weeks to arrive. I think the owner suspected bad faith on my part.

As someone noted above a registered package must be signed for and put in a locker at each stage of the delivery. My gun showed up somewhere just as the responsible employee went off on a two week vacation.

I instituted a mail search which was fruitless. The gun went into a locker and nobody had any idea where it was until the employee returned to work...Geo

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.