March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were much younger, I would be tempted. Maybe the next "custodian" will consider a recreation.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Finally back at this, got a chance to slug the barrel, I couldn't find a pin gauge to use, the slug measures .468.When you look down the barrel the rifling is extremely shallow, it looks like just swirls down the barrel. There are definitely lands but not very pronounced. After more research I think a 540 grain paper patch cast bullet over over 70-90 grns Swiss #4, now I just need brass.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How fast is the twist? I would guess that a 540 gr bullet will be too long for whatever the twist is. I'd want to double/triple check anyway. Is it Metford rifling? It looks swirly, but is not really that shallow, just rounded.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent, I do believe its Metford, the barrel is marked Metford on top, I wouldn't know the twist or how to measure it, the rifling barely shows on a chamber that goes 3 inches into the barrel, they are defiantly there but not very pronounced. The original bullets for the were if I remember right were 360 grn hollow point, 540 grn for express load? and 570 for match, this is all I have found so far, so I thought I would start there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

49N, I just fit a really tight patch to a jag in on a good cleaning rod. Then I put a piece of tape around the rod so that the tag end of the tape is straight up when the patch is engaged in the rifling near the chamber. I push it forward being careful to allow the rod to twist as the rifling wants to rotate it until the tape has done a full rotation. I measure the distance the rod has moved forward to get the twist rate. Easier to do than to explain. I bet the 540 is way too heavy for an express load. 400 or less would be my guess. That 360 hollow point sounds about right. But I'm guessing a bit.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent, took me a couple of tries but, your method worked great, it worked out to be 1/2 turn in 20inches, 25 inch barrel, so then it would be 1 in 40.

Sidelock
Sidelock

49North, If you slug the muzzle of your rifle, you will probably find that it is smaller at the muzzle than it is at the breech. I have a Metford barrel in #2 Musket that has a groove of .469" and bore of .455". At the muzzle, it is .450". Think of it as a long funnel. This is what Metford segmental rifling looks like. Is that what you have? Could it be a gain twist?

Sidelock
Sidelock

49N, your rifle would have surely used a 480gr bullet and a charge of 85grs of powder. The 540/75 load was a target shooting type load in the No.1 cartridge that pretty much replicated the performance of the 577/450 MH. Your rifle being a sporter and not a MBL or match rifle, I would think the 480gr is it.
From my reading, the 360gr bullet was introduced well after your rifle was made.
That said, many of the later Gibbs sporters were sighted for both the 360gr and a 570gr bullet and shoot both well so dont get hung up on your bullets weight too much to begin with. The Metford rifling must be pretty forgiving in respect to bullet weight variation.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob, no mine does look more like conventional rifling, just really really shallow.I am pretty sure the entire bore is .468 and has 7 grooves and 7 lands, my first attempt at measuring the bore from my chamber - bore cast was wrong as I put my digital caliper on the cast and slowly rotated it to get the reading I now see that probably wouldn't work properly.

49NORTH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You guys are great, I really appreciate your patience and help.
The one thing that keeps eluding me is bullet diameter, I just cant figure out what I need to start with.
I have 100% cotton 9 lb paper for patching,
I am proficient in casting and reloading.
And is there a commercial available mold that would be a good staring point?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.