Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#492311 10/15/17 08:22 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The auction catalogues are now at Charlton Hall Auctions. If anyone here would like to have one please let me know and I'll see that one is sent.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Inquired direct to Carlton Auction on gun listed and their reply was to refer to condition report.Sounds not very professional.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

Are these guns being offered with any reserve? Sometimes the auction house will say "no reserve". I couldn't find that info on Charlton's site.

If I wanted to come down from Charlotte, I need to know if your guns being offered the first day or second day of the auction? I'd hate to come down the first day and watch old rugs sell, but no guns.

Do any of the English guns have "Proof Exempt" paperwork from the UK Proof houses? The Purdey thumb hole 10 ga hammer still has it's original proofs. I know it could be sold in the UK, if the barrels were unmodified, but usually, the gun would have been reproofed in the UK before sale. If nothing else, but for the peace of mind of both seller and buyer. Of course, if the gun has been in the US since new, it would not have been reproofed. Has Purdey offered any information on this gun?

I have read the disclosures on Charlton's site. It appears the buyers premium + SC sales tax, amounts to a +27% additional charge to the buyer. Is that correct?

I know you have worked with Charlton Hall for prior gun auctions. I'll call them if you prefer.

I hope this response finds your daughter doing well.

Thanks,

Joe in Charlotte
President, Carolina Vintagers

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

One last quick question.

Lot 85, The Army and Navy 20 ga pair is described as a boxlock and sidelock. The photos are of 2 different boxlocks. Where is the sidelock or is there an error in the description of the pair?

http://www.charltonhallauctions.com/auction-lot-detail/Pair-Army-Navy-C.S.L.-20ga-SXS-sporting-guns-***FFL-REQUIRED&salelot=286+++++++85+&refno=++102020

Thanks,

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

George

Hope it works out well for you. I do remember the gun auction that they had with Diggory Hadock consulted on. Most remember the poor quality pictures and the poor descriptions, not informative

Probably better now?

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Crane: I don't know who you spoke with but the condition reports were done by a professional gun appraiser (not me) You should ask them to e-mail you a copy of the condition report. Give my your address & I'll have Charlton Hall send you a catalogue.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe: The guns all have a reserve. The guns are being offered on the first day in the weekend auction. If you send me your mailing address I'll have them send you a catalogue. I don't know which of the English guns are "proof exempt" Some of that info would be in the condition report that was done by a qualified gun appraiser. The Purdey thumbhole hammer gun I got in a local trade for another English gun. I have written to David Maynard at Purdey for info and he kindly responded that "SN 8248 is a 12 bore Purdey breech loading hammer gun, No. 1 of a pair, completed in 1870 for Captain H.F.G. Coleman.

I believe that 27% is correct.

The Army & Navy is one sidelock & one boxlock with consecutive serial numbers which numbers also appear on the original trunk case. The guns were partially restored by Jim Kelly at Darlington Gun Works The case was restored to "as new" condition by a friend in Rock Hill, SC. There is also another 20 gauge Army & Navy in the sale which is in poor condition.

Best Regards, George

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John: Diggory is long gone. Off hunting big game in Africa with his buddy Michael. I believe that you will find the photographs much improved over the earlier ones and the descriptions much more accurate. Give my your address & I'll have them send you a catalogue.

Best Regards, George

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, George. I will take you up on your offer

Thank you!

Hunting: Michael Joseph from Houston. Josephs?

Send to

John Boyd
Box 19477
Houston, TX. 77224

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well the auction did not go as planned. A few guns were sold but most did not meet 80% of the low reserves. I then contacted James Julia and they sent a couple of guys to look at my guns. The estimates that they were coming up with were to me laughable to say the least. 10-20 % of my estimates. I was prepared for 50% but not 10-20. How about Heritage Auctions in Dallas,TX ? Has anyone here had dealings with them ?

Best Regards, George

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.