April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
steve f Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not my gun, sure looks nice. Original chambers were 65mm so I'm guessing WWII or before. I can't find much info on Bayle.

Bayle - Gunbroker

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There are clones, and then there are clones. That is pretty clearly an 1894 patent Darne R action, likely sold out the back door of the Darne works after they were selling the 1909 patent Darne R model. But, the engraving, wood, checkering (notice the "seashell" treatment on the ball of the semi-pistol grip) and the step up to mono-bloc barrels all speak to a maker who gave a damn about the guns that had his name on them. I'm pretty sure that is the best example, quality wise, I have ever seen in a Darne clone, period.
I have handled three or four examples of guns by this maker, and every one of them was a cut above the competition, in execution and quality of materials. I wish I knew more about them, but, when I was in St. Etienne and asked the people at the factory about A. Bayle, they hadn't heard of them, so it dead ended for me, right there.
I would bet that upon inspection, you will find it has heavy barrels, and a lot of material in the mono-bloc, and that the chamber lengthening, if done by a professional, is not an issue.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

After seeing this gun I sorta wish I was a Darne fan! Very, very nice.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a pretty gun. The weight beats most 20's and some 28's. The safety operation is a nice feature. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my gun I'm selling. It is absolutely a beautiful gun and a great carrying gun but I have found something else that is calling to me so I must move something. I just recently found out the chambers were lengthened. I have only shot 2 1/2" loads and I can't imagine wanting to shoot anything bigger through that light of 16. If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun...
An A Bayle (sometimes Beyle, sometimes Adrien) has been documented in St-Etienne in 1929-1931 as doing Darne type shotguns.
Addresses were: 9 rue Jean-Baptiste David and 12 rue Valbenoite
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sold this Darne type 16 gauge a few years back on gunbroker and I'm just curious if anybody on this forum was the buyer.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.