April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, KDGJ, SKB, 1 invisible), 949 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Charles Boswell with a serial # of 39XX, which according to British Gunmakers V1 means it was made between 1872-1883 at the 6 Chapel Pl, Upper Fore St, Edmonton. However the Damascus barrels have the 126 Strand Street, London address. All serial numbers match except the trigger guard which as a 63xx serial number. The proof mark is very hard to see, but appears to be a London proof mark prior to 1875. The gun has the Lancaster Slide & Tilt w/underlever and the Lancaster style "noseless" hammers.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just guessing here but as they moved to 126 Strand in 1883, could the gun have been built and finished from some parts which had been stored in a workshop for a number of years ?
I've heard of similar things happening but don't know how common an occurrence it was.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could have been rebarreled at some point. That might explain the different things you noted. Many guns were returned to the maker or another gunsmith to have a new set of barrels made. Then they would be sent out for proof. Rib address would be current location at the time unless requested otherwise. Trigger guard could have been replaced another time. If done by the maker I would expect a matching number so it had to be a take off. A cheap repair using parts on hand.

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Could have been rebarreled at some point. That might explain the different things you noted. Many guns were returned to the maker or another gunsmith to have a new set of barrels made. Then they would be sent out for proof. Rib address would be current location at the time unless requested otherwise. Trigger guard could have been replaced another time. If done by the maker I would expect a matching number so it had to be a take off. A cheap repair using parts on hand.

Makes sense, although Nick's answer is also a possibility. Thanks to both of you for providing an answer.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some ideas;
Firstly I believe it was the practice often to take out the number when the order was taken, but there would be a bit of a delay caused by manufacture, fitting, proof etc, so actual completion and delivery might easily be a number of months later
Secondly, I don't know Boswell's history in detail, but the move may have involved being at two addresses during a transition period. Strand is a 'shop' type address/area. Possibly a workshop remained in Edmonton?
If the barrels were replacements, I would expect a later number to have been taken out for them I think.
Trigger guard sound like a replacement 'borrowed' from a later gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some ideas;
Firstly I believe it was the practice often to take out the number when the order was taken, but there would be a bit of a delay caused by manufacture, fitting, proof etc, so actual completion and delivery might easily be a number of months later
Secondly, I don't know Boswell's history in detail, but the move may have involved being at two addresses during a transition period. Strand is a 'shop' type address/area. Possibly a workshop remained in Edmonton?
If the barrels were replacements, I would expect a later number to have been taken out for them I think.

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JohnfromUK
Some ideas;

Interesting, but the last serial number from Edmonton was in the 9000 range, so a gun with a serial number of 39XX would have remained in the Edmonton shop for a lot more then a few months.

Alternatively the gun was made with serial number 39xx during the early part of production, it came back for a repair to the trigger guard and then at some point when production was moved to 126 Strand the gun was re-barreled. In the end I doubt I will ever know for certain the circumstances that resulted in the gun having serial number that doesn't match up the address on the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the barrels smokeless/nitro proofed ?

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't Chris Batha hold the records for Boswell?

Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nick. C
Are the barrels smokeless/nitro proofed ?

No, they are Damascus and beautifully browned

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.