April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (graybeardtmm3, Hammergun, Jimmy W, LeFusil, 80dubya, 1 invisible), 432 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,217
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#489992 09/13/17 11:21 AM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ever notice if you have a good Dove field you will have more opening day friends, wanting to share your field, than you could fit in but then after the first week it seems like 95% of them are done hunting for the year? I called seven hunters to go hunting last Saturday just to get two that would and could come. Even when I assured them I still had birds they just didn't seem that much interested in going. We limited out after ninety minutes. Sunday I went alone and had more birds than five people could shoot. Now it's getting cold and they might be gone any day. (:

Don't know if its college football, wives telling them once a year should be enough for them or whatever reason. Sucks to loose my best hunting companions, my sons, when they return to college and med school. I don't think I ever turned down a chance to Dove hunt in my life. For some things you just make time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

not everybody is that into hunting.....when I was young I got excited about duck/goose , pheasant , grouse , deer hunting....I don't deer hunt at all anymore.....waterfowl, upland I still do but not like I used too....more of a once and a while hobby than an obsession....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

u must not have called Rees at A&M in Lex. he will shoot all of them u send his way..................

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I called people I knew paid a local hunt club to shoot opening day. All but one had been someone I hunted with in the past. I just think people are interested in opening day or opening weekend and after that their interest drops off almost to zero. This weekend I have three young shooters coming. I think their interest will still be high and they have fewer honey do's to worry about. In fact two of them will be shooting guns I am loaning them and shells I loaded which were going to be unshot. A real shame.

I think instead of doing five small fields next year I'll just do three. It's a shame to have a field which has birds in it and they don't get harvested.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon,
Tell them they can listen to the game on a portable radio. When I was still able to go, there were several radios on the field, sometimes more than one game.
Mike

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

All I can say is that it's a damn shame you and I don't live closer together. But yes, I've noticed the same thing. Those aren't the kind of diehards I normally shoot with, tho'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Folks I know want to shoot doves and won't miss a chance. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd really think about just going alone, their loss. Every once in a while it's pure bliss. But, bring a good pup along, they won't lose any excitement for the hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see this happen with other species around here. Some guys can only get up their enthusiasm for the opening day/weekend "outing" and then they quit. The magic of the opener is all they have holding them up. I've spent many lonely last days of the season chasing birds, or at least chasing the Hunt.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I wish I lived closer. I'd come hunt doves with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.