April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (eeb, Hugh Lomas, Marks_21, mel5141, dogon, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#489727 09/10/17 11:58 AM
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I'm sitting through a 2-day hunter safety course with my 13-year old this weekend in Denver. We could have done this mostly on line, but I wanted my boy to get the full input of others on the subject, and I also wanted to gauge his response. The whole experience has really been quite positive, considering the remarkably broad mix of folks in the class. The one interesting piece of data to come out of the class was demographic information on hunting as compared to the current population in these United States. Assuming the data is accurate, hunters comprise only 5% of the current population, with rabid anti-hunters making up another 5%. A bit chilling, I thought, considering that the rest of the population is largely ambivalent and uninformed.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/10/17 12:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, the percentage of the U.S population that hunts is 6% according to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. That number is down from 10% in 1955. I'd have guessed the difference between then and now would be much greater considering the urbanization of America. 73% of Americans still have a positive view of hunting even though Liberal Democrats have been hard at work to demonize anything to do with guns.

The number of paid hunting license holders has been steadily increasing slightly since 2004 after an earlier slow decline. That's another pleasant surprise to me. We'll certainly be around for some time to come, but it won't last without effort on our part to ensure that lies, propaganda, and things like unnecessary lead ammunition bans don't get traction.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The most important piece of information I took away from my Hunters Ed. course, which was taken in 1985 near The Bronx, NY, was how many wackos would be out in the woods with me come opening day.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
Bravo. You are the man.

Rob,
1985? Pretty sure I took mine in 1973, and I'm 5 or 6 years younger than you.

I can show you places in central and northern MN where you wouldn't see a soul on opening day.

It ain't NY.

Lloyd,
What gun will the fruit of your loin be toting for the trip? Make it something decent, my friend.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

As part of the hunter ed class that I help teach, we point out the difference between hunters and anti-hunters, encourage our kids to do the right thing, for instance not displaying animal heads prominently out of the back of a pickup truck. Sure wouldn't want to offend a snowflake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took my hunter safety course around 1959, and back then nobody looked sideways at a bunch of 12-year olds toting rifles into the police station. Course included live fire at the underground range, below the station. Boy, how things have changed.

Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Ted: My family's time there is brief. They get there Wednesday night and fly out Sunday. He has grown rather substantially these past few months and I'm not sure what will fit at the moment. He got his hunter's ed certificate today and we'll go from there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had to take the course/test three times in three different states due to an itinerant life (Our wonderful "recessions"....). All were very interesting and reminded me of a lot of safety issues that need to be kept "front and center." Different kinds of people gathered to learn something useful in common. I like that.

In Wisconsin I learned about "sound shots"!

You can still spend a whole day hunting in NYS and see nobody else. Just avoid "opening days." Same in CA.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.