April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bbman3, RWG, LGF, eeb, Skeeterbd, 1 invisible), 1,070 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company may either be sold or cease to operate at the end of the year.

If you use their brass or have been thinking about it, order now. There is an eight week backlog ( at least on 16ga as they have to order bar stock to fill the order I placed today )

I have enjoyed their full length heavy brass shells and use them all the time.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to hear that. Good folks to deal with. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who have used both, how do the RMC compare to MagTech?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I consider RMC first rate. They are a totally different animal from MagTech

MagTech are thin brass with a large pistol primer pocket and meant for black powder loading ( though there are some who have developed smokeless loads for them). You can resize the primer pocket for 209 primers, but the thickness of the brass base makes this less than ideal. MT because they are thin walled require oversize wads ( 14ga for 16ga MT Shell) and cannot use 16ga wads w/o a over sized nitro card)

RMC are milled from solid bar stock, are 209 primer sized. They have thicker walls and you can use the normal size wad for that gauge. They can easily be used for smokeless loads.

RMC are expensive ($70 per box of 10) but they are extremely durable. I have some thar have taken more than 100 loadings are stiill are good. I have heard from some that they can loaded more than a thousand times, but I have not gotten that far and have stopped keeping track.

One challenge I have discovered is the brass fire forms to the chambers it is regularly fired in and when you move it from one gun to another, if the latter gun has more narrowly cut chambers they need to be resized. Resizing is difficult even in a monster press as the walls are very thick. As a result I reserve a lot of 60 16ga for my Purdey and 70 16 for my Christophe and Greener.

Downsides on MagTech
1. Really meant for black powder,
2. Oversized wads
3. Pistol primers do not work as well with smokeless as 209's do

Only downsides on RMC brass are:
1. Expensive up front
2. Not a huge volume of specific tested data
3. They are tough to resize

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting write up oc, thanks for taking the time.

I'd think a lot of folks would miss the obsolete cases they can make for rifles as well as shotguns. Maybe, if no one takes over, RMC would consider putting out a booklet of dimensions and a primer on turning brass cases.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colonel, thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't want to drill out and use 209 shotgun primers because they stick up past the base. Upon firing the part sticking up into the powder will get corrosive making it very hard to remove. Don't ask how I know - had to sh*t can 100 of them. The pistol primers seemed to work ok for me, and I didn't mind the oversize wads. What I didn't like was I never found a formula for nitro that didn't produce bloopers. Other people have had success. I didn't and sold the other 100 to a SASS shooter. BP worker great.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 09/09/17 03:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using RMC all brass cases for the last 10 years and I'm very happy.

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
You don't want to drill out and use 209 shotgun primers because they stick up past the base. Upon firing the part sticking up into the powder will get corrosive making it very hard to remove. Don't ask how I know - had to sh*t can 100 of them. The pistol primers seemed to work ok for me, and I didn't mind the oversize wads. What I didn't like was I never found a formula for nitro that didn't produce bloopers. Other people have had success. I didn't and sold the other 100 to a SASS shooter. BP worker great.

I agree, I noted the drilling out as others have in the past and I did not want to disregard. A company at one time, doublehammer I think, modified the MagTech with a plastic basewad to solve the thin brass base issue, but I believe they had problems with those basewads coming loose.

I have about 100 MagTech that I used once or twice and put away to gather dust. Like you I did not solve the problem of a reliable smokeless load. The RMC are superior by light years

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.