May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (DLH, 2 invisible), 720 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,595
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
MJS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My question is how many of you out there have seen any other 1900's with a straight grip stock? The stock and forend both have the guns serial number professionally stamped in the wood. I will have to try and get some photos of that tomorrow. If the gun was restocked in the past it was done by a very talented gunsmith. Unfortunately time has not been good to this 1900 and it has several issues with it. I have owned this shotgun for several years and often wondered about its past. I might just take it over to the Remington Society forum and see what they have to say over there. That site does not get very much traffic however. I realize this 1900 does not look like most others, that is why I am sharing these photos. I often wondered why they went to the trouble to doll up a 1900 when they had the 1894 platform to work with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never have seen a straight grip 1900.

Every Remington SxS I've ever seen has had a fluted comb. That's the anomaly I see.

That stock has an odd shape to my eye as well.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How Do we signify it was professionally stamped? I own punch sets in two different sizes and some of my guys have done pretty amateur jobs stamping with them. But, they were getting paid for the job ....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Inletting the "Widow's Peak" buttplate is a costly pain.
Most 1900's I see have been lopped off and a recoil pad added.

Seems anomalous to re-inlet the buttplate on a replacement stock.

I'd say that the original stock has been modified for some reason.

MJS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some photos of the wood.

Last edited by MJS; 08/23/17 09:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun in question has the later style action, so probably would have had the flat butt plate. The K-Grades were never cataloged with anything but the half-pistol grip.

Through most of the production period, the A- through C-quality guns were only cataloged with the half-pistol or full pistol grip, but we sure don't see many with the full-pistol grip. There was the straight-gripped CEO-Grade Pigeon or Trap gun though. The D- and E-quality guns were cataloged with either a full pistol grip or a straight grip. By the 1903-04 catalog the E-quality guns were also offered with the half-pistol grip. By the first 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalog the D-quality guns were also offered with the half-pistol grip. Beginning in the 1908 catalogs the A-, B- and C-quality guns were all offered with straight, half or full pistol grip, though for the A- and B-quality guns they never got "straight" into the text, but they pictured a straight gripped AEO- and BEO-Grades.

For very late guns, from 1910, when Remington Arms Co. was finishing up orders and getting all their inventory of break-action guns out the door for the sale to Norvell Shapleigh Hardware in St Louis, I believe one can expect all manner of combinations of parts

MJS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Researcher
This shotgun has the original butt plate with the widows peak although it has been very poorly repaired in the past. The barrels also have a concave rib. After seeing the stamping of the SN in the wood what is your opinion. Does it look factory or non factory. I just posted this over at the Remington Society forum under post 1898.

Also the only other straight grip Remington I own is the CEO 16 GA. It is obviously not factory original as it has an extension added very professionally using a half lap soldered and engraving added that looks very good. I have no idea who would have done this. It also has a silver initial plate inletted into the stock. The inletting is no where near as professional looking at the job done on this 1900.

Last edited by MJS; 08/23/17 11:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to the serial number chronology in Charles Semmer's book, this would be a 1907 vintage gun. One other minor point for pondering is that all the K-quality guns I've recorded from the 359xxx range on up have the serial number on the trigger guard preceded by a Q.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That forend screw is kind bright too.

MJS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
That forend screw is kind bright too.

That is one of the "issues" I mentioned this gun has. It is a modern wood screw.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.