May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (prairie ghost, 1 invisible), 1,118 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

"F. Beesley patents 425 & 14488 of 1884 and H.A.A. Thorns patent of 7242 of 1894"

Regarding Lancasters, these patents are unique in that two different guns can be made using this design...a sidelock and a "body action". The body action looks like a A&D type boxlock, but it's not...its mechanism is entirely different from the a&d.

I'd like to see the inside works on this Crecent/Triumph and see how it really compares to the Beesely/Thorn patent. The compressors on the action flats look nothing like the compressors on a Lancaster, and the barrels are also lacking the compressor bar fitted through the lumps.

This action actually, to my eyes anyway, closer resembles the Smtih easy opener used on Churchills, Rossons, etc.

Dustin

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
"F. Beesley patents 425 & 14488 of 1884 and H.A.A. Thorns patent of 7242 of 1894"

Regarding Lancasters, these patents are unique in that two different guns can be made using this design...a sidelock and a "body action". The body action looks like a A&D type boxlock, but it's not...its mechanism is entirely different from the a&d.

I'd like to see the inside works on this Crecent/Triumph and see how it really compares to the Beesely/Thorn patent. The compressors on the action flats look nothing like the compressors on a Lancaster, and the barrels are also lacking the compressor bar fitted through the lumps.

This action actually, to my eyes anyway, closer resembles the Smtih easy opener used on Churchills, Rossons, etc.

Dustin

Dustin,

I believe Beesley patent 425 and his US patent 34040 are the same. https://www.google.com/patents/US320040#v=onepage&q&f=false

The pin/screw locations in the patent drawings match the frame screws in the Crescent. The only variance I see is the omission of #14 - crossbar and the pivot levers #13 are extended and acted on by the barrel flats. In doing so the frame cut is reduced to a window for the pivot levers #13 which should make for a stronger frame than the Lancaster design.

A variety of self and assisted openers are covered here: https://shotguncollector.com/category/in-english/

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to see the gun broken down to the bits. If you have the KSA's to do so...that would be awesome! Tell me, does the Crecent/Triumph have a block safety (type of intercepting sear)? What is really like to see is your guns mainspring. It's a fascinating gun John, and thanks for posting about it. I have never seen one and to be honest never knew something like this was being built in the US.

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dustin,

I do plan to take it down, but it may be a while. I will post pictures when it happens.

John

Boxlock
Boxlock

The British test to see if a gun is built on a self-opening action is to turn the gun upside down and open the top lever. If the gun opens vertically and stays open, it is a self opener.

Otherwise the gun is an assisted opener. Thus many who claim they make "self-opening action" are mistaken.

But in the heat of shooting a true assisted opener is a pretty good thing.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
Interesting that the ad does not specifically state that it is self opening. However it beats around the point by saying that the gun opens and cocks easily.

The original Beesley/Purdey design was introduced and advertised as "Purdey's Rebounding Lock Hammerless Gun."

At this time we do not know when the term self-opener was applied to the Purdey sxs. We do know, if I recall the late great Don Masters, that Purdeys complained to Robert Churchill when he claimed the Premier was a "self-opening" gun and he then relented and dubbed the two Premier designs and the Hercules were "assisted opening."

I can't recall the date.

Last edited by Niemann; 06/16/18 11:22 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.