April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fudd, Jimmy W, coosa, Longknife, Roundsworth, susjwp), 1,037 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have old Alcan or Vihtavuori loading data anywhere? I have been given some Alcan WW209F MAX-FIRE & Vihtavuori Magnum Shotshell Primers and would like to use them in Remington STS 12ga hulls with Red dot powder. Do any of you have any load recommendations for loads using this combination? If I need to change the powder, I can do that too, but I would prefer red dot if at all possible. If not, does it make a huge difference to change the primer. I use winchester W209 primers now.

Loren

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, ALCAN is long gone. I remember using them 25 years ago and if my old guys memory is right they inlarged the primer pockets. You could contact Alliant ands see if they have any old data. We used them in Federal papers that were low pressure loads and the primer pockets tended to leak so the size helped.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Alcan Max Fire primer was probably the hottest primer on the market at the time it was made, but the Federal primer could have been its equal. If you can find a copy of Lyman's first edition of their shotshell loading manual, you will find some data with this primer. Most of the data is for their powders, but there are other recipies. Do your best to try to find good data. I've seen or heard nothing about Vihtavouri primers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like another job for Sherm Bell ... testing primer effect on loads. Based on some tests of metallic cartridge primers, I suspect the effect on pressure in shotshells is pretty limited.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually Chuck it can make a dramatic difference. I cannot recall where I read the tests before but it was probably in Hand Loader magazine and in one of the loading manuals. A change of 1500 psi is possible. The Alcan primer was a very hot primer back then. From the Lyman First Edition Shotshell hand book all loads for the Alcan 220 Max-Fire primer are for use with their powders or their wads wich are no longer available. I would try them with 16 GRS of Red Dot and 1oz of shot with the appropriate wad and I would feal confident that they were safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This type of stuff is exactly the kind of stuff that caused me to buy the PressureTrace system.
http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Loren, a quick check of Alcan Reloader's Manual XI show 3 Red Dot loads using Reminton Express and Shur Shot (plastic) shells. They used various combinations of Alcan Air Wedge, Plastic Gas Seal and Feltan Blue Streak wads. All three are 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loadings. No modern plastic wad data in the old 1966 manual. Probably not much help.

Johnpe's suggestion to look in Lyman's 1969 first edition Shotshell handbook is a good one. There are more Red Dot loads for the 220 max-Fire primer in there. At least one has a Remington wad in the Rem. All American plastic target case for an ounce of shot at 1260 fps.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.