May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken Nelson, skeettx, RRTeddy, Jolly Bill, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,130
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Researcher]DE-Grade serial number 107965, shown on pages 160 and 161 of Charlie's book, has scroll on the sides with a Swan and a fat Drake Mallard on the trigger plate.

Excuse the hell out of me, that's 2, still unique for a D grade.

Win2128ga

Sidelock
Sidelock

As Ted noted all but one I have seen were low end guns that have been rode hard and put up wet. One 16 all the rest 12's. The nicest one had been under a bed for 50 years and had beautiful Damascus barrels. I'd like to see a nice example with a straight stock. Is there more than the one book to find out more about 1894's and 1900's ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some pics of a project DE 1894 Remington of mine.
First are a couple of the ejector mechanism, seems to be some interest in that.
The rest are just some of what is left of it.
Early Ser# 100138,,I think it's earlier than the earliest D grade gun in Chas Semmers book, but I'm not sure.
No grade marking, but I understand that was not all that uncommon early on.

Someone got the forend wood too close to the campfire and charred it pretty well. Checkering pattern is still visible which is good. A couple small parts gone from the forend but I now have those.
Ribs are loose, bores are great. Horn butt plate gone. Needs a complete going over. I'll get to it when I can. Maybe this winter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful example of just how unique each of these high grade Remington Hammerless Doubles are. The first DE-Grade Charles shows in his book is 100154.

In the first Remington Arms Co. catalog to show the Remington Hammerless Double, October 1894, ejectors were a quite expensive option, $22.50 extra on guns that listed from $45 to $225 with extractors, $67.50 to $247.50 with ejectors!! Between the November 1895 catalog and the April 1897 catalog the premium for ejectors dropped to $5, with ejector guns now listing for $50 to $230. Prices stayed the same into the 1908 catalog. In the 1908-09 and 1909 Remington Arms Co. catalogs the price of D-quality guns went up $10 and the price of C-quality guns went up $30, but the premium for ejectors remained $5 across the board, a lot cheaper then Parker Bros., Lefever Arms Co., L.C. Smith and A.H. Fox ejectors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington quit making doubles early. They were done about the time Fox got going good. The workmanship in even the lowest grade guns is very good. Only real stock issue is splitting at the head. Straight forward repair if it happens. The higher grade ones have some of the best engraving of the time. Their case colors are fantastic with blues in multiple hues. I have several a and b grades with ejectors which work very well. I just wish I could find a E grade 16 that was within my budget.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
This one, and the Harrington and Richardson (a Westley Richards with the name H&R on it) are about as good as American guns ever got.

I'll settle for 3rd Best & stay with my Lefevers. A double gun frame shaped like a shoe box has just never Floated My Boat.
My Lefevers are all over the century mark (well one of them may be a year or so shy) & will still outlive me so I'm not worried about their Longevity.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Quote:
This one, and the Harrington and Richardson (a Westley Richards with the name H&R on it) are about as good as American guns ever got.

I'll settle for 3rd Best & stay with my Lefevers. A double gun frame shaped like a shoe box has just never Floated My Boat.
My Lefevers are all over the century mark (well one of them may be a year or so shy) & will still outlive me so I'm not worried about their Longevity.

Miller,
I should have been clearer in my post.
I was thinking along the lines of American boxlocks that aped the A&D patent. That wouldn't be a Lefever. I never have owned a Lefever, long term, and, can't comment on them, other than what you gents tell me. However, there are guys here who believe an LC Smith is the greatest thing to happen to mankind, a sentiment I would have to disagree with. Robustly disagree with, actually.
With that thought in mind, I guess I'll just keep looking and learning what I can.
Do enjoy your Lefevers, in the best of health.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only have one....an FE grade trap with 32" steel barrels; one of a pair that was originally owned by the first commissioner of the Alabama Game & Fish Department. The ejectors work perfectly and it will absolutely smoke trap targets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat Gary, and you are in good company smile

E.D Fulford won the 1898 GAH at Live Birds with a Remington Hammerless

Remington shooters at the 1899 GAH: R.O. Heikes, Col. A.G. Courtney, Frank Parmelee, B. Le Roy (Remington, DuPont and U.M.C. Professional Representative) E.D. Fulford, George Roll, Captain J.A.H. Dressel (U.M.C. Rep and president of the Interstate Association)

Rolla Heikes used a Remington to win the first Grand American at Clay Targets held at Interstate Park in New York City June 12-15, 1900.

We were just discussing "Billy" Herr and the U.M.C. touring squad
http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/billy-herr.215044/

2-13-1909 Forest & Stream

George Maxwell was a one armed shooter from Hastings, Neb. Here at Pinehurst with Sousa in 1913 holding his Remington double

Sidelock
Sidelock

Courtesy of Researcher. CEO and FE in the 1906 catalog

Remington Ordnance Steel was introduced in 1897 for the 1894 Hammerless Double with a reported 110,000 psi ultimate tensile strength with an elastic limit of 60,000 psi

It is assumed the Remington Steel used on the A Grade Hammerless Model of 1894 starting in 1897, K Grade (Model 1900) Hammerless, and Model of 1894 Hammerless Grade “F.E.” Trap Gun (introduced in 1906) is similar to Marlin “Special Rolled Steel” and Winchester “Rolled Steel”. The April 1897 Remington catalog stated “Remington blued steel barrels are manufactured in our own works” and the Sears catalog No. 112 c. 1902 states the K Grade has “fine Decarbonized steel barrels”.

BTW: Post-WWI “Parker Steel” was Decarbonized (Bessemer) Resulphurized Rephosphorized AISI 1109 Carbon Steel.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.