April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marplot, Drew Hause, Hal M Hare, DaveB, coosa), 1,186 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,842
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

posted 14 June 2017 21:29
Here's an interesting project: I came upon a 1903 Springfield that has been converted to 222 Rmington. It has had the old serial number ground off and a new number stamped. I must assume that it is a low number gun. I wouldn't consider shooting a low number gun in .30/06 unless it had been re head treated like Sedgley did. Since I have no way of knowing that, would anyone care to offer opinions about shooting a non-reheat treated low number in .222? As a corollary, would anyone know companies that would re heat treat a Springfield at this date? I wouldn't even bother with such an endeavor except that it has also been converted to left hand and it has a nice slim barrel and classic sporter stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding the heat treating you could contact Blanchards in SLC.

http://www.bmproc.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol423,

You are a brave man to being up the topic of shooting low number 1903 Springfields. That topic generally generates lengthy and heated detabe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Serial number ground off, replaced with another and left hand conversion. I hope the experts chime in, but this sounds like possible Sedgley to me and if so, if I understand correctly, they were reheat treated and proofed again. Pictures would help and be of interest to most of us. As to shooting low number guns, I am on the go ahead side of the aisle if it checks out with headspace etc. That's just my decision and there are many on the other side of the aisle.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it a geared left hand conversion like the Hoffman, or is the bolt handle moved to the opposite side of the bolt and the right side of the receiver welded up? Pictures would be great.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

If things seem to check out okay, I'd shoot it. I think there's quite a bit more barrel containing that cartridge than a 30-06, regardless of the receiver ring. I wouldn't bother with heat treating, I don't know what assurances can be had from making the attempt. Best of luck with it.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This gun is serial number 0001, so I would not think it would be a Sedgley. A friend says that you can tell my the font on the other markings, which are still intact. I don't have photos yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had this info saved,,I don't know how accurate it is as far as the ser# ranges go. But the lettering style did change over the production. The Earliest used a more fancy style with caps and serifs (sp?) on the letters. Also the lettering font has been described as 'script' style on the early ones,,and 'Gothic or Block' lettering style on the later production:

Springfield Armory production from the beginning to about 70,000 used the script or serif style stamped just under .100" tall.
70.000 to around 288,000 used the same serif script style but slightly larger at around 1/8" tall.
After 288k they went to the block style lettering still about 1/8" (.125") tall.
It's generally accepted that any SA '03 with the early style script lettering/ser# style is a low # receiver as the double HT didn't start till around 800,000 ser#.

** wether the above height dimensions are for the ser# figures alone (I think they are) or include the recv'r ring 'Springfield Arsenal' lettering as well,,I'm not sure. But the style of the letters & numbers should follow this general time line.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.