May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 608 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#482414 06/08/17 10:59 AM
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A hammer double just sold on a recent auction, marked W.M.Farrow. Supposedly a maker from Tenn., did he build these or a marketer, or a diffent Mr. Farrow?

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/W-M-FARROW...&rfpb=0#Top

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seller's Amarican Gunsmiths, page 99, has a large paragraph on William Milton Farrow. He had a patent or two, was in Tennessee among several other places, and made his patent single shot rifles, too.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 06/09/17 10:21 AM.
John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Daryl,

Maybe not so much a manufacturer, but an early maker. This is the first one I recall seeing.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall reading an article on this William Milton Farrow in a Gun Digest.
As best as I recall the article dealt primarily with his Single Shot Rifles. I have no idea now how ;long ago this was but was probably back in the 60's or 70's. From the article it sounded as if he made some very fine rifles.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to W. Milton Farrow.

http://cap-n-ball.com/farrow.htm

He was a sales rep for Marlin and became famous shooting the Ballard rifle. He won many important matches in America and Europe shooting Ballard's. He then went on his own with a unique single shot of his own design. Few were ever built and most are unique specimens. It appears he moved and tried at a lot of locations with little success. I have a original advertisement brochure he had printed that I can send you a picture of if it helps. It is only about his rifle, loading tools and sights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

McCash, that's really interesting. Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the gun maker, target shooter, self promoter's first name is Willard (Milton Farrow)
His father was William
Willard had lots of brothers, sisters and 1/2 siblings. ,,2 of the latter were named William I think.
Not an uncommon name at the time.

Try the Single Shot forums for info on him, They research the makers quite deeply and would likely have uncovered any hint of making or retailing a SxS sometime in his career.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am the person (or at least one of the people) presently researching the life of self-promoter (I like that, Kutter) Willard Milton Farrow (1848-1934). He was the youngest of a complicated (his, hers & theirs) family of 17 offspring. There were 2 Williams. The first was the eldest of the 17, but died as a child. The 2nd William was 20 years older than W. Milton. He was a sail-maker in Maine and ran a sail-loft until he was in his 90s. No shotgun makers there.

Milton Farrow & brother Thomas ran a sporting goods & jewelry store in Newport, RI from 1873 to about 1883. They advertised shotguns in the local newspapers & city directories. Would they stamp their name on someone else's product? I think so. Did they make it? I think not. I think they lacked the necessary skills. Thomas died of TB in 1885. Milton went to work for Bullard 1/1/84. That is where he picked up his machinist skills. Milton's prototype single shot appeared late in 1884.

Milton was in Springfield, Mass from 1884 until 7/1885. From 7/85 to 1887 in Brattleboro, Vt. From 1887 to mid 1890 in Holyoke, Mass. From mid-1890 to about 9/1891 in Mason, Tennessee. From 9/91 until 1897 in Morgantown, West Virginia. In 1897, he moved to Washington, DC and was essentially out of the gun business. I think Farrow was too busy self-promoting & trying to make his single shot a paying product to mess about with shotguns.

In the years before lots of middle-European migration, Farrow or a variant was in the top 20 surnames in America. There could be any number of William Farrows. Not Joe Smith, but close to it. One I have been trying to track is William B. Farrow, who reportedly made percussion target rifles in Holyoke, Mass from 1867 to 1875.

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Waterman,

Excellent information. I didn't get that proxibid double bought as I thought the price was steep for a gun of unknown origin. I believe there was more information on the gun itself on the auction company's site and it had Birmingham(?) stamps. My interest is always piqued when I see a new name attached to American doubleguns and it is hard to sort out the 1870's vintage guns from their design.

Thank you,

John

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.