April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Borderbill, Dave Weber, Longknife, SKB), 462 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan I use q-tip and saturate dent it takes several times to burn finish off in deeper dents.Just keed doing it and it will raise the wood back up. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I soak the dented area with a small patch of cloth saturated w/water for a time to get the fibers softened up.
Then use the same wet patch w/a soldering gun (much more heat and easier for me to use) pressed into it over the dent to generate the heat & steam.
Works well, can be tedious work sometimes no matter the method. But well worth the time to restore rather than rasping, sanding and filling.
I like the alcohol treatment..!

Some of the MilSurp rifle restortion folks put the nasty grease and cosmoline soaked wood parts into the dishwasher to clean them off (if they'll fit!) and raise dents from the stocks.
They say it works well, but one of the 'problems' they have is that the stamped arsenal markings (dents really) in the wood end up raised to the surface and usually above the surface.

They see it as a real problem,,it may be something usable for raising dents of a more natural usage occurrence. Never tried it in either case, but it's a thought. The extreme hot water and dry cycle would be the key I'd guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
What, exactly, is an "iron". Does it have something to do with starched shirts??

Yes. Exactly. But, irons come in many shapes and sizes, with other applications than with just clothes. As Keith noted, you can also make your own for specific applications.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/23/17 11:07 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

bill, yes you got it right.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Perhaps I should have mentioned from the first that the dent in question is on the stock of my Alex Henry .450 31/4" double. The wood's finish is (perhaps)ancient linseed oil and maybe whatever the Indian upper caste member used on the rifles in his arsenal (its stamped "15" on the other side).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.