April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 383 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#481222 05/22/17 07:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone here have any experience with the age-old shotgun fixit for raising a dent in a stock by laying a damp cloth over the area and running a warm/hot iron over the area to slowly raise the dent?

If so, could you please elaborate on the process and efficacy, please?

Many Thanks - KK

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the fibers have been shattered by the dent, the technique won't be nearly as effective as when the dent only stretched the fibers of the grain. In the latter, it can work quite well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the pointed end of the iron, and try to hold it exactly on the dent and not the surrounding wood. You don't want to raise the surrounding area, just the dent itself. It will raise little ones quite well, but I have had limited success with deep dents. They come up some, but not all the way.

I'd like to hear more suggestions about the process, too.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Understand there are a lot of variables. Some of the newer finishes as used on the Citori don't take heat well and discolor. Does not help much if wood fibers are broken, etc. Best left to a professional?

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It works well on dents, as long as the grain isn't broken. Small irons like the type used for mounting pictures are available, that's what I use. Many use alcohol instead of water. It's pretty simple, fold a piece of cloth a couple times, saturate, and iron away. I've always done it on stocks after the finish has been stripped.

I've just bought this. This should also work for stock dents, as well as barrel touch up.

https://www.amazon.com/Comforday-Handhel...olstery+steamer

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/22/17 07:30 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use rubbing alcohol and a lighter with great results and no it will not char the wood. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby,

You just saturate the dent and light it off?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A shallow dent where the wood fibers are not broken can often be completely raised as if it was never there. And even dents made by contact with sharp objects such as rocks, where the wood fibers are damaged, can be raised somewhat and much improved in appearance. Naturally, if a chip of wood is missing, steaming isn't going to do a damn thing.

Dent raising is best done during a refinishing process after the old finish has been stripped, because stock finish will prevent water from penetrating into the damaged area. Trying to raise a dent by steaming a polyurethane finished stock will not work as well because those finishes are much more water resistant than older oil and varnish finishes.

I used to use an old steam iron, but found that it worked better to make dedicated dent raising irons of different sizes out of flattened copper rod and copper tubing with wooden handles. You can heat these irons with a stove burner or propane torch. Water soaked pads work well, but I found that regular 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol works better. It helps a lot to allow the alcohol to soak into the damaged area for a while before applying the hot irons over a damp pad. By doing this, you are generating steam from within the wood rather than trying to drive steam down into the wood. It is the rapid expansion of liquid into steam that raises the dent. The wet pad is necessary to prevent scorching the wood surface. Note that alcohol will dissolve shellac finishes, so greater care must be taken if you are attempting a spot repair without a complete refinish.

As with any home gunsmithing project, I'd suggest practicing on an old broken stock before tackling Grandpa's Parker. You can create more dents in the practice stock to learn what works best.

edit: Forgot to mention that it may take several steamings to get the dent raised as much as possible. As long as progress is being made, keep going. I've hit some stubborn dents 5 or 6 times.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we covered it here. But I will say that patience and repetition will produce results in this respect. Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What, exactly, is an "iron". Does it have something to do with starched shirts??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.