March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

How does a little dog get you a 2 minute rest in the penalty box? Strange indeed, from a long time fan who remembers Maurice "The Rocket" Richard- Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull and who can forget Wayne Gretsky. Maybe high sticking, but the doggy on ice makes me think of a older Mickey Mouse winter-time cartoon with Pluto--

Thanks for your devoted service to America, Messer Argo. No wonder you are fluent in another language besides English. When I mentioned my surprise to learn you are from The Old Dominion, and not Louisiana, I merely surmised that more folks, including the Cajun population, were somewhat fluent in French than perhaps those in Utah or Alaska-- Then there is Canada- C'est La Vie, mon Ami!! Le Reynard

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Cajun patois is about as "French" as its Canadian version. (Mainland French are incredibly snobbishly obnoxious about their language as opposed to the Italians). I've a brother who has lived 40 years in Nouvelle Orleans (incidentally only the 3rd French town in the south....Baton Rouge and Mobile preceded it). And I now know all about that "Dat" "Yat" crowd. But if you like French, American country music....the Cajun version is pretty good....and just damned genuine!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jF_EVink4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFUl28YWVV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9CXnoDua4&list=RDAFUl28YWVV4&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0he709d1k&list=RDAFUl28YWVV4&index=16

Last edited by Argo44; 12/14/20 09:49 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best lubricant I have ever found for the hinge pin on break-actioned shotguns is the grease that comes with garage door openers--small tube, I apply it when needed with a Q-tip right on the pin. RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
The Cajun patois is about as "French" as its Canadian version. (Mainland French are incredibly snobbishly obnoxious about their language as opposed to the Italians). I've a brother who has lived 40 years in Nouvelle Orleans (incidentally only the 3rd French town in the south....Baton Rouge and Mobile preceded it). And I now know all about that "Dat" "Yat" crowd. But if you like French, American country music....the Cajun version is pretty good....and just damned genuine!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jF_EVink4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFUl28YWVV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9CXnoDua4&list=RDAFUl28YWVV4&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0he709d1k&list=RDAFUl28YWVV4&index=16

IMO, Cajun French is worse. I've spent time in Quebec, and it's mainly the accent there. (And when I spend more than a few days, I discover that I'm starting to pick up their accent!) Cajuns . . . We were training a bunch of Louisiana National Guard soldiers at the Intel School at Ft McCoy one summer. I tried French with them. Had one helluva time understanding much of what they said. More vocabulary differences.

My favorite from Quebec is "gosse". Slang for kid in standard French. In Quebec, it's slang for testicles. You wouldn't want to tell a Quebecois that you have 4 kids or you might shock the hell out of him!

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

40 years ago I was in Brazzaville (French Congo) then a communist country called "Democratic Republic of the Congo). I drove my FJ-40 Land Cruiser from Brazza to Point Noire a few times....long drive on a dirt track, right through the middle of no-where and down through the jungled coast ranges. The EU was funding a new railroad route through the jungle...We would get permission to follow their work road which cut off a 100 miles or so. Both Kinshasa (formerly Leopoldville in Belgian Congo - Zaire) and Brazzaville - French Congo - were on the Congo River above the 300 miles of raging rapids - the head of navigation for 1500 miles of navigable waterway on the Congo River and tributaries. The trick was to get from the coast up to the Stanley Pool. Both countries had railways leading up to the capitals which made the economy work.

I took a young embassy officer from NYC with me once...he'd never seen so much green desolation, In a town called Loudima, we were driving slowly up the "Main Street" when we saw a white guy. We stopped, He was a Cajun. There were 9 of them from Houma LA at a government run sugar plantation outside of Loudima maintaining sugar mill equipment. I was the consul and was supposed to know every American in country...I hadn't a clue they were there - in a communist place yet! Somehow the Congolese (really the Congolese were educated - a tribesman on the beach in Pointe Noire was using the subjunctive - the university for all of French Equitorial Africa was in Brazza) somehow understood their French...it was difficult.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/17/20 11:13 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just to finish the story of that trip.....about 100 miles west of Loudima, we came to an uphill in the road....scrub countryside....light failing. Following the dust track up the hill the Land Cruiser came to a sudden halt. Turned out timber trucks had cut foot deep ruts in the surface of the road...dust filled the tracks..the LC was sitting with both transfer cases on clay hardened to virtual cement while all four wheel spun in free space....occupied only by powder dust. It was impossible to get off. I had a winch...no tree was nearer that 400 yards away. Dusk was coming on...somewhere drums were beating. The NYC guy said, "We've made it! We are right in the middle of no-where!")

In the gloaming though I thought I saw a white something about 400 yards up the hill. I walked the hill and there was a White 1960 DeSoto Convertible...all 18' of it, with two White guys in it. Turns out they were Angolans from Cabinda. We pushed the DeSoto down to the LC thinking I could use its 4500 lbs of weight to get purchase for the winch. Nothing doing. So they piled (stinking) into the LC and promptly began drinking the cold beer from the ice chest.

About 2300 hrs a timber truck came by and pulled us out. I towed the DeSoto about 10 miles to the railhead where the Angolans left us. A memory of Africa.

Oh wait, on a subsequent trip I was arrested by the Communist boss of Pointe Noire and held for 6 hours.... And then there were the road blocks with the AK's shoved in your face...oh well (I always carried packs of cigarettes for such contingenices).

Last edited by Argo44; 12/20/20 11:45 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bounded thru Point Noire a time or two and I know the area like back of hand. But my time was spent between Mayumba inland towards the natural nuclear reactors past Franceville, etc. Believe me nothing has really changed since you passed thru less that have cellular devices now.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Merci, mon ami-- I like Cajun music, but I also like Zydeco. Who else could take a ribbed washboard and use it for the rhythm section of a Cajun band-locals here have band names like "Back Bayou" and "The Washboard Kings"-- Bluegrass is No. 1 for me, but Cajun has a flavor and rhythm all its own. Joyeaux Noel!! LeReynard....

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave has allowed us to post more French terms. The upgrade did not take on many punctuation marks and especially diacritical marks for foreign languages. Dave is working on this. So I reposted the first page dictionary which did indeed take.

In the meantime, here are a few new terms which I've added to the master list on the first page. If any of you have more terms..metallurgy, alloys, variants on names, etc. Please post here. I'll add them to the first page master list. Hopefully the computer glitch can soon be rectified.

Creusot? - hammered?
Chasse (m) sous Bois - Upland woods hunting
Déboulé (m)? - in the wild?
Forage - boring (of barrels
Fournie - not sure (concentrated perhaps?)
Gerbe - pattern
Gerbe de Plombe - shot pattern
Muni - fitted
NY D'Imphay? - (some alloy I would suppose)
Recuit - annealed
Usiné - machined

Last edited by Argo44; 01/09/21 09:45 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More new words added to the vocabulary:

Boite a Fusil - gun case
Brosse - gun cleaning bore brush
Carnier - Shotshell pouch
Chargette - powder measure
Douille - Shotshell husk
éponge - bore cleaning swab
Fourreau - Leg-o-mutton case
Réamorçoir - shotshell priming tool

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.