April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (80dubya, ClapperZapper, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 391 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,215
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#480532 05/13/17 08:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not fond of the Anson style forend latch, but that's how they make these. Gun in question is a "B. Rizzini Upland EL Side by Side". The current model number is 550/552, I do not know if they use the exact same forend system.

Anyway, mine fell off. Not the forend, just the button that you push to unlatch it. I went to push the button, and no button. Gun won't come apart with no button.

I was fortunate to find it on the skeet field. Visions of $$$ floating in head. Had this happened in the woods... doomed.

Good news is... the whole piece somehow unthreaded itself from the forend iron. It's not actually broken. I have no idea how it could have made as many revs as it did undetected, but it did. I simply threaded it back in, good to go. Locktite job pending.

Suggestion: If you have a Rizzini, try to turn the latch button (with the forend off the gun). If it turns easily, you may want to Locktite it in. I do not know if this applies to their O/U guns but I highly suspect it does.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall that when I was working in the G&H store about 10 years ago that there was a notice from B. Rizzini about the possibility of the forend latch coming off. I spoke to Paul Chapman and he says that we have replaced several of them. Apparently, there is a set screw that can come loose.

Bob Beach

Research
Griffin & Howe, Inc.
http://griffinhowe.com/researchyourfirearm/

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are correct Bob.

Further examination did reveal the set screw.

It's a 1.5 mm hex drive.

Once I take delivery of a hex wrench in that size, I'll Locktite everything.

Ounce of prevention, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

holy cow what a world we live in. now we must own guns that require lock tight and super glue. 100.00 guns its expected. but high dollar guns? what do those euros think we are?
i miss old school america.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, you best Locktite the tang screws on a Parker too.

And the floorplate screw on a Merkel.

And the trigger group screws on an old A-5.

Don't forget the mainspring strain screw on a Smith and Wesson either. Those back out too, and at a bad time could get you seriously killed or worse.

They're just screws. Vibration attempts to destroy everything mechanical.

Be thankful your gun isn't made by Boeing. Everything would be secured with .032 stainless lock wire.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Shotgunjones,
Ah yes, good old "safety wire". I spent many hours in the Air Force spinning the tool to secure the aircraft bolts!
I can speak from experience regarding the Merkel screws.I solve that by placing a tiny amount of locktite between the taper of the screw and the taper on the hole of the action.
Karl

Last edited by Karl Graebner; 05/16/17 04:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Shotgunjones,
Ah yes, good old "safety wire". I spent many hours in the Air Force spinning the tool to secure the aircraft bolts!
I can speak from experience regarding the Merkel screws.I solve that by placing a tiny amount of locktite between the taper of the screw and the taper on the hole of the action.
Karl

They weren't as careful as the Navy was about installing safety wire, if they let you use the tool in the Air force. We couldn't use it (in VA-205, working on A-4 Skyhawks). We had to twist the safety wire by hand. Our chiefs were convinced the tool would strain the wire, almost to the breaking point, without you being aware of it.

I think about it often, that and Dzus fasteners, while working on my farm equipment.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan,
I can't imagine doing the job by hand as you did! Even using the twist tool was a pain, especially un tight spaces. I can still see all those Dzus fasteners.
Back on track, I have two Browning BSS-SL guns that have the Anson push button. I've never considered the possibility of the buttons coming loose. I have heard of the adjustment in the rod preventing the forend from releasing off the barrels though. Either problem could be bad.
Karl

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.