April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Northwest Territories, that's Sargent Preston's digs.

Northwest Territories where men are men and gals are big as buffaloes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The original version said, "where men are men, and the huskies are nervous!"

"A Stranger is a Friend we haven't Met"
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Artic, Winnipeg is cold but we're amateurs compared to you!

Dal, I'm with you. Layers, layers and more layers.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
Ken.....that's so funny...laughed out load!

What CB said about the - 40c. One thing about the cold is that you can always dress warmer! layer, layer then layer some more! Was at 20,000 feet once...-30c. most of the other climbers, new to the game, had $1000 jackets and $200 mitts....and froze. I had 5 layers and a final wind breaker shell. 2 inner layer mitts with an outer shell...very toasty.

Fleese, fleese and more fleese. A good layer of 'Thinsulate' will do wonders. Wearing a helmet while skiing is good to keep the heat in in also. For me...as long as the back of my neck is warm...i'm good. So thick turtle necks and high collard fleese pull overs. A 'dicky' is a must also, to protect one's face. Easy to pull up or down when needed.

Hot and a ton of black flies and mosquitoes at the cottage yesterday....can't wait till September!

I've been wondering about fleese. I works well here in Texas and is easier to take care of then wool. I'm a big believer in scarfs also, they provide a lot of warmth, take up little space and can be removed and put in a pocket. To me the trick of not freezing is to not get too hot and sweat. Stay a little cold.

My wife was a northerner from Cleveland. When she first came to Texas she would run out to catch as much sun as possible. It took a while to convince her that the hot sun could be dangerous. There are things to be careful about here in the Texas heat but it is not down right dangerous like cold can be.

Last edited by pooch; 05/19/17 06:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Things are tough up close to the arctic. I was a flyer, by trade, and was watching a National Geographic piece where a young pilot flying a Super Cub rescued a stranded young man off a sand bar. I was thinking at the time flying a Super Cub at those latitudes is a tricky business as a normally aspirated engine can get bad carb ice on days one would think other wise. That and wing icing is a real problem for that aircraft in those conditions. Sure enough a few segments later there was a memorial to that young pilot that had died in an air crash.

I don't think I would last long up there. That is tough country for tough men.

Last edited by pooch; 05/20/17 09:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
Originally Posted By: dal
Ken.....that's so funny...laughed out load!

What CB said about the - 40c. One thing about the cold is that you can always dress warmer! layer, layer then layer some more! Was at 20,000 feet once...-30c. most of the other climbers, new to the game, had $1000 jackets and $200 mitts....and froze. I had 5 layers and a final wind breaker shell. 2 inner layer mitts with an outer shell...very toasty.

Fleese, fleese and more fleese. A good layer of 'Thinsulate' will do wonders. Wearing a helmet while skiing is good to keep the heat in in also. For me...as long as the back of my neck is warm...i'm good. So thick turtle necks and high collard fleese pull overs. A 'dicky' is a must also, to protect one's face. Easy to pull up or down when needed.

Hot and a ton of black flies and mosquitoes at the cottage yesterday....can't wait till September!

I've been wondering about fleese. I works well here in Texas and is easier to take care of then wool. I'm a big believer in scarfs also, they provide a lot of warmth, take up little space and can be removed and put in a pocket. To me the trick of not freezing is to not get too hot and sweat. Stay a little cold.

My wife was a northerner from Cleveland. When she first came to Texas she would run out to catch as much sun as possible. It took a while to convince her that the hot sun could be dangerous. There are things to be careful about here in the Texas heat but it is not down right dangerous like cold can be.

Yes, Fleece, is very warm. But I've never heard of fleese.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Layers is, of course, the answer, but the question I have with fleece is that it is bulky and the bulkiness can cut down on the layers one can put on before becoming too awkward. ie per thickness of layer/ warmth how does fleece compare to wool in really cold weather?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We were doing a job in Milwaukee, Wisconsin it was January and unbelievably cold. Cops had to drive around at night picking up the homeless because of the life threatening cold.

A very pretty girl was on the elevator with me with a full length mink coat on. I asked her if she was warm enough in this kind of weather and she said you can't believe how warm this coat is.

Even in this kind of weather.

Oh yea, sometimes I get too warm and have to unbutton it.

Fleece is very warm. Fur is even better but a lot more expensive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I lucked into a B-3 bomber coat several years ago in a Cabela's discount cave. I think I paid $110 for a $550 coat. The sheepskin is so thick I can only wear it on the coldest days or I sweat to death.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I live on the Georgia/Florida border so extreme cold is not one of my problems. I have a nice tweed sports jacket (the kind everybody puts their greasy old shotguns on to make photos). There is usually one day per winter when I can wear it without breaking a sweat...Geo

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.