April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (griz, Hugh Lomas, KDGJ, Lloyd3, SKB, ClapperZapper), 570 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,097
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Navarro Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So I'll premise this with the fact that I am not endorsing firing a 1900 with modern loads. This is a video of me firing my 1900 BEFORE I learned through surfing the net and info I got here that it's not a best practice. So I guess I was the crash dummy. The "Gun Smith" is also partially at fault for telling me it was fine for me to fire slugs etc.. But for those who say the barrels will "blow up" that also wasn't the case. Before I realized it wasn't the best practice, I had already fired 11 2 3/4 Federal buck shots and 4 or more 2 3/4 slugs. At least twice firing both barrels at the same time. Since then I've picked up the Winchester AA's. I thought some of you guys may want to see the video.

I named my Gun "Midnight Rose" after a "working woman" of the 1800's era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxEd6_bWsA

Last edited by Navarro; 04/11/17 01:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You marked the video 'private' so I can't play it.

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Navarro, The problem with shooting modern high pressure loads in an antique shotgun are many.

They beat all the metal clearances apart.
They pound antique wood to splinters.
They pound the shooter with recoil.

And, God forbid, they split barrels right about where the left forearm extends to point the gun, with terrible results.

Sure, people do it frequently without effect, but when it happens, it's always bad.

You won't hit any clay target harder, or knock down a clanger any more effectively with heavy loads.

Drew could easily post pictures of the injuries people sustain, but I'd ask he doesn't.

It's better all around if people just use the correct ammunition, enjoy themselves, and preserve their vintage firearms.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new hobby.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the firing of both barrels simultaneously intentional?

Shooting modern loads in a 1900 isn't necessarily a bad idea. Mainly depends on WHICH modern loads you pick. Most American field loads and heavy and/or fast target loads wouldn't be appropriate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The point is, the 1900 was not designed for modern loads. Now, you're right in the middle of the safety issue for Vintage guns. Historical information, as well as DocDrew's testing has shown that Vintage Guns with unaltered barrels can take the modern loads without catastrophic failure. (Usually, but there are possibly exceptions such as guns with very light, thin tubes) When modern powders were introduced and were loaded by volume as were black powder and early bulk smokeless, catastrophic failure was possible because the pressures were so high. This was used as a marketing tool to convince users to buy new guns with modern steel tubes. I certainly wouldn't be running slugs and buckshot through a Vintage Parker built on a #1 frame, or an English 2" chamber gun. This is also why so many Vintage guns you find are loose/off face with cracked stocks, (Belgian guns in particular) they've been used with modern loads.

As noted by the previous posters, you'll eventually damage your gun with modern loads. Since there's plenty of loads out there (using modern powder) that perform within the black powder specifications that your gun was designed for, it's unnecessary for you to abuse your gun and potentially create safety issues.

Many who shoot their Vintage guns on a regular basis take the added precaution of glass bedding the receiver. This is due to wood shrinkage over 100 plus years, and prevents the stock from cracking.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/11/17 09:38 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Navarro Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Treblig1958 I changed the video to public, thanks for letting me know.

L.Brown No, it was the first time I ever shot a shot Gun. I pulled the lead trigger and both barrels fired. Surprised the crap out of me. Then I learned I had to pull the rear trigger first then the lead trigger in order to fire them independently.

Clapper Zapper, All good points I reiterate that I learned that from you guys after my day at the range.

I'm still working out a few things
-What rounds I can use that will get the job done without such a kick. The job I'm referring to is knocking down targets.
- Proper distance for knocking down targets, I've been using 25yds. But then all I get is a big scatter pattern. Being military we like center mass. Do I go to maybe 15yds?
- Is there such a thing as a light load slug, or do I forget about slugs all together.

Ken, Thanks for the input. I'll be donating my slugs and heavier loads to the guys with guns who should and can use them.

I appreciate all the input you guys gave here to help me have a good safe day on the range. Again, I shared my video for the purpose of sharing my experience.

Last edited by Navarro; 04/11/17 09:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably the least expensive options are the two AA loads I mentioned before. If I were you, I'd go with the low-noise, low-recoil loads first. As far as slugs, you'd probably have to load your own, folks here on the board can provide you with the reloading recipes if you desire to do so. Slugs or round balls.

An added note, since it was pointed out your gun has a replacement butt stock, the original was possibly damaged by modern loads. Or, someone fell on it and broke the wrist.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/11/17 09:53 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"L.Brown No, it was the first time I ever shot a shot Gun. I pulled the lead trigger and both barrels fired. Surprised the crap out of me. Then I learned I had to pull the rear trigger first then the lead trigger in order to fire them independently.

What you are describing here is a pretty good indication you gun needs work and the engagement between the rear trigger and sear is probably worn. The firing of the front trigger is jolting the rear out of engagement. If this were mine; I'd get it to a gunsmith before firing it any more.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun fires both barrels when you pull the front trigger this represents some mechanical defect inside. These guns were designed & built to fire either barrel first dependant on which trigger was pulled. This could represent a bad sear notch for the left lock & iot is jarring off from the recoil. I once had an old J Stevens Arm & Tool Co 12 double which would on occasion fire both barrels if you pulled the rear trigger first. Turned out it had worn holes in the sears for the pins & sometimes the sear tails would get together & lift both sears simultaneously. The right sear sat slightly higher than the left one so it never did it if you pulled the right trigger first.
It is noted that when Bell loaded up high pressure shells to the point he burst the barrels on a couple of old Parkers,one damascus & one steel, they both burst in the chambers, not down the barrel a ways.A flaw in the barrel or an obstruction can burst a barrel anywhere of course, but high pressures gets it in the chamber.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"No, it was the first time I ever shot a shot Gun. I pulled the lead trigger and both barrels fired. Surprised the crap out of me. Then I learned I had to pull the rear trigger first then the lead trigger in order to fire them independently."

Navarro: There is a mechanical issue with this gun, as the front trigger should fire the right side barrel; as, with very rare exceptions, that trigger is always pulled first and set to fire the right barrel. If both barrels fire when the front trigger is pulled you likely have a worn sear that requires the attention of a qualified double gunsmith, as simul firing is potentially dangerous to the shooter and to the gun.

"What rounds I can use that will get the job done without such a kick. The job I'm referring to is knocking down targets.
- Proper distance for knocking down targets, I've been using 25yds. But then all I get is a big scatter pattern. Being military we like center mass. Do I go to maybe 15yds?"

You didn't say what type targets you were attempting to knock down; but if they are metal or anything heavy then shootig Win
low recoil/low noise ammo won't be the answer, as I don't believe those things are loaded in any shot size larger than size 7 1/2. For knocking down heavy targets you'd likely need to hand-load your ammo and use #4 shot or larger. And as to your "big scatter pattern", the barrels on your gun have been cut; there is no choke in those tubes, and a big scatter pattern is all you can expect from that gun. There are solutions for tightening patterns such as screw in chokes; but such custom work is expensive. As has been suggested, one can hand-load pressure suitable slug and buck shot loads; and reloading is an enjoyable aspect of using and shooting a vintage double gun; but if the shooting games you're into require heavy loads and lots of "knock down" ability, it's entirely possible that you have armed yourself with the wrong weapon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.