April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#477518 04/10/17 11:05 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One for the German experts.
Looking at a rough date of manufacture and any other info on the maker or the gun.
Appears to be very well made and had little use, very nice etched Damascus barrels.
No proof marks at all which Im assuming makes it early, as does the lefaucheux action and non-rebounding hammers.
However the hammers are small and low, more in keeping with the 1880s I think.
The barrels are about 26 inches long, but I cannot convince myself they have been shortened looking at the muzzle so perhaps it was made to order for closer stuff.
No visible serial number however the locks have a number internally and there is a Patent? number on the lever.
I would also be interested to know an approximate value.

Cheers,

GDU.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"The Franz Kettner for whom the Frank Kettner gunshop in Köln was named was born in 1808 and more than likely became a master gunsmith in 1834 as he founded the business on May 15th 1835. His walk-about must have taken him to distant master gunsmiths and that was what added a few years to the typical time for a gunsmith to acquire their master sheepskin. His father, Karl Franz Josef Kettner, was a top/head forester and his brother was businessman Eduard Kettner and he was born 3 years after Franz in 1811. Master gunsmith Franz Kettner had a son named Franz Kettner as well as a grandson named Franz Kettner and the next master gunsmith heir was named Eduard Franz Kettner who was born 100 years after Franz Kettner in 1908, more than likely became a master gunsmith during tough times circa 1932 and expired in 2006. I’m sure each and all passed thru several of the Suhl gunsmith shops on their respective walkabouts. Franz Otto Julius Kettner, son of Eduard Kettner and nephew of Franz Kettner, was only listed as a businessman as I can find, but Axel Pantermühl of Germany and contributor/member of the GGCA( http://www.germanguns.com ) notes that Franz Otto Julius Kettner worked a stint at Christan Sturm, who I would guess to be the son of Wolfgang Heinrich Sturm(Daniel Sturm was also a master) who didn’t Ghee-Haw with Sauer in the mid 1830s and it may have been the fact that Sauer & Ferdinand Spangenberg had buddied up but by the time Franz Otto Julius Kettner was born in 1852 Sauer & Sturm had had some sort of “come to Jesus” meeting and resolved their differences. I’d guess the time period to be in the 1870s and Franz Otto Julius Kettner may have also worked at the Sauer facility, as well as others in Suhl. July 23rd of 1884 witnessed the founding of the Eduard Kettner firm and there had to be a master gunsmith on staff and it may have been one of the Franz Kettners because some family centered dispute led to stiff competition between the Kettner klan of Köln. Eduard Kettner advertised as Gewehrfabrik in Köln a. Rh.(on Rhine River) und Suhl i.(in) Th.(Thuringia) which is sort of deceiving as Suhl was sourced, many times it was Bernhard Merkel( I think him to be a huge filed frame or example in the white source for almost all non-Suhl retailers) as well as the Sturm folks, who was also sourced by Franz Kettner and during WWI in 1916 Sturm’s widow was managing the company and taking orders. I’ve wondered for some time with the rules/guidelines of the gun maker’s guild if widow’s were allowed to continue their husband’s business without their being a master gunsmith on staff. This seems to be the case. Anyway, about 1920, Franz Kettner absorbed/purchased Sturm’s widow’s firm and expanded and the firm employed the following craftsmen:
½ dozen actioners, a couple of engravers(this is the main difference in Eduard & Franz Kettner examples) and a few less than a ½ dozen stockers. 5 years later Eduard Kettner sold his business to Dornheim and the bombing on June 30th, 1943 pretty much leveled everything sending Franz to Suhl for the remainder of the war. Post WWII he had a small shop and supplied examples to BuHaG. In 1971 Kettner heirs began opening stores with Hemer followed by Ratingen, Hamburg, Münster, Oldenburg and later Vienna. I think Kettner went under but someone has started anew. By the way the use/re-use of the same first name is what really complicates retracing the history of gunmakers."

from here:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=210425&page=1

I think it to be from the mid to late 1860s, but need to ferret out H. Godin's patents for the period. It should resemble this 1867 listing for H. Godin:

Fusil Lefaucheux, modle allemand, canons damas turc, bascule systme H. Godin, sous garde et plaque de corne, gravure lgre avec sujets enlacs dans les ornements.

On the following Godin listing verbiage, are just saying it was disassembled?
Fusil Lefaucheux, systme Godin, dmontage brevet en faveur de l exposant, platines en avant, clef sur pont, gravure anglaise.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be this 1856 patent?:

Au sieur H Godin, Herstal un brevet d'invention, prendre date le 9 juin 1856 pour une clef de fusil (systme Lefaucheux), rccouverte en bois. (Monit. du 25 juin 1856.)

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't offer you really anything about it except to say you have a very nice shotgun on your hands. Drool!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given the wood on the lever, I'd say you're likely onto something, Raimey.

Sidelock
Sidelock

wonderful condition...hope there is a story of how this fine german made gun wound up in new zealand?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

looks 1878ish...wonderful condition...hope there is a story about how this fine german made gun came to be in new zealand?

Last edited by ed good; 04/11/17 09:07 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Man, you Kiwis and Ozzie's seem to run accross some great guns. Please tell us the story about how you came upon this one.

Awesome tubes, could they be considered a Bernard variant?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/11/17 09:09 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Acid etched Bernard I Ken. Here's the segment from the Buchsenmacher u. Jagdmuseum of Ferlach; colored top, etched bottom

More here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fMs-Mn60ei9QsRcHT5Urm_eHobzJnaDKZiP3FP0fXb0/edit

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew:

From what was the top rib cut?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.