April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, Dale May, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 845 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#475398 03/17/17 06:28 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone else considered the weight of recoil pads? I see numerous older American guns with late model Silvers replacement pads ...even 1-1/2" pads. These have got to add a bunch of weight and really affect the gun's balance, while not providing much recoil reduction. I for one, use pads mostly to adjust LOP and like thin pads when possible. In fact, most of my sxs's have a buttplate or checkered butt...no pad. How much do Hawkins, Sunburst, and other vintage pads weigh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never weighed one. My long-armed Father always used a lace on pad on his old 2-frame Parker Bros. waterfowl gun. To make things "look nicer" I had Keith Kearcher fit a Silvers pad. Definitely moved the balance point rearward!! Other pads such as a Jostam Anti-Flinch or a No-Shok don't seem to add as much weight.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/17/17 06:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some pads can add 4 ounces or more when stock is not cut or drilled to remove weight. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Little Creek my SxS's all have butt plates or checkered butts. I once put on a Galazan slip-on to try and couldn't believe how much it altered the gun's balance. I'm gald he brought it up because it's something I've never considered.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

When considering whether or not it causes the gun to become "out of balance", it should be considered first whether or not the gun was built and left the maker with one. I have an AE 30" 16 ga. Fox that was shipped with a Silvers pad. It does not have it now, but the old pad was replaced somewhere along the way with a hard rubber buttplate. It will be going back to the way it was originally built soon, and I fully expect it to handle perfectly.

But, yes, thick solid rubber pads are heavy. I have no accurate scales on which to weigh any of my stash. I have a couple of new London Silvers on hand, and they are noticeably heavy. The ventilated ones ...... Hawkins, most of the Jostams, etc. will be lighter than the Silvers style, usually. You would have to remove a fitted pad from a gun and weigh it. Weighing a new, unground pad would be erroneous.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a vintage pad, but there was a Kick-Eze pad on the 26" SKB 200E 12 ga. I picked up this winter. It weighed 7.5 oz. on my digital scale. On this gun I replaced the beavertail forend with a splinter and that Kick Eze with a microcell pad. It went from 7 lbs. 2 oz to just under 6 lbs. 8 oz.!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Worse than just the weight is the fact that being on the end you get a leverage effect. If the pad was at the hinge pin, or normal balance point, it would only make the gun heavier, not change the balance. Being on the end of one arm of a leverover a fulcrum it has maximum effect on the other end. We feel the change. To rebalance you can either remove weight from the butt stock or sometimes add weight to the barrels. Trying to make things simple you could look for a light pad but most of the time we are either looking for a proper period type pad or one for length which restricts our options.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave you probably really appreciate the microcell pad now that you've lightened your SKB. I have a 6 pound 8 ounce 12 ga Francotte and have been shooting low pressure 7/8 ounce reloads in it. I did fire a 3-3/4 dram hunting load in it...once. I couldn't believe the recoil...I won't do that again!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Litte Creek,
I've done the same on some of my light SxS's. They tend to knock me into last Wednesday!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just received a Micro Cell Ultra Light Recoil Pad - Medium .91" and it weights 2.5 oz on my postage scale and I also received a Micro Cell Ultra Light Recoil Pad - Thick 1.26" and it weighs exactly 3 oz.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.