May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Tim in PA, LRF), 300 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
Boxlock

Used steel in the wma's in the Dakotas and 3's or 2's work fine. Remember the pattern will tighten, too, and it seems, like with ducks, you might get a few more delayed deaths since the steel doesn't deform like lead, so keep an eye on them even as they sail over the next field. Sometimes they'll fade and the pooch can make a 300 yard retrieve! Steel is lighter so gets to the bird faster but slows down faster at distance , so for the most part, on the regular shots you won't notice much difference, the longer shots maybe a little less oomph hitting the bird.

GaryO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

sorry; should have mentioned that I shoot a 16 ga O/U....

GaryO

NRA
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Look into Bismuth if you can. You don't shoots cases of shells hunting so the cost per shell should not break you. Bismuth 5 or 4's should work well and are kind to old doubles.

Definitely the way to go if the bank balance permits: no need to go crazy in terms of heavier loads and you don't have the choke restrictions associated with steel (i.e. you can safely put bismuth though 3/4 or full chokes) and you can use with damascus.

Nice overview of the options here https://basc.org.uk/lead/ (the Lead Shot Alternatives guide is pretty comprehensive).

We have to use non-tox for 'fowl over here so have put a good number of bismuth through. Never had any problems with cleanliness of kills and, if lead were banned for other game (fortunately not on the cards at present) I'd have no concerns using bismuth.

DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also use Bismuth for pheasants. I have had great success with Eley fiber wad, 1oz., #5's. I usually shoot less than a flat per season so it doesn't add that much to the cost. Waterfowl are an entirely different story. I would go broke shooting Bismuth at them.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roster's study, mentioned above, is pretty old. Steel loads are much better now than they were when he did that study (I think about 20 years ago). And he also used 1 oz loads, assuming that most pheasant hunters would go with the cheap stuff. (And back then, steel was significantly more expensive than lead.) It was a blind study (shooters didn't know what they were shooting), and compared shot sizes 2, 4, and 6.

One interesting result from the study was that there were almost no birds lost with any of those loads inside of 30 yards. Beyond 40 yards, different story. Wounding loss rate on those longer range birds was something like 15%.

Comparing to today's loads is difficult because of the improvements in steel shotshells. I have a friend who shoots nothing but steel at pheasants. He's a decent shot, but not outstanding. Certainly misses from time to time. Uses 1 1/8 oz 4's, shoots dozens of wild roosters in a season, and seldom loses a bird. I would add that he hunts over a very good wirehair.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel is of course much lighter in weight than lead. The going up two sizes is to bring them to similar weights per pellet. Going up 3 sizes brings them much closer ballistically. Having less sectional density steel of course "Sheds" velocity much quicker than does lead. This is why it has to be started faster. It Doesn't "Get to the Target Quicker" because it is lighter. If started at similar velocities the lead will get there quicker because it is "Heavier". Although admittedly much more drastic but throw a golf ball & a ping pong ball with the same force & you will very quickly see the difference sectional density makes.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Subtract 2 for shot size and go up two for velocity

So #4 Steel at 1400 fps

Mike

This works for me very well in my Merkel.

I will add, open up your chokes one level as well. Modified or improved modified will shoot tighter than they would with lead.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

I've never seen factory 16 ga steel? Anybody make it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

FEDERAL makes it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryO
sorry; should have mentioned that I shoot a 16 ga O/U....

Unless it can handle modern steel or HeviShot loads I would trade this for light weight 12ga or 20ga. You will be better off in the long run. Now is not bad time to do it. I predict there will be a flood of used 16ga guns for sale in near future.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.