March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dan R), 819 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#473308 02/26/17 08:19 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Heres a nice BLE I picked up recently.
I have not heard much about Allan or seen many of his guns, I presume he was more of a retailer than maker although I suspect he did stock and finish his guns.
I have come across one other slightly plainer Allan box lock here, and in both cases fit and finish seems a step up from most.
Interestingly it has a chunk of lumber on it that I would consider above the grade of the gun, it may have been requested.
Anyone have any further info/comments on this maker?

As an aside and for those that find such things interesting I do have the full history of the gun as told to me by the son of the original owner.
This chap was a doctor from Scotland, who received the gun on completing medical school very early 1900s.
He then emigrated to New Zealand where he set up business in a town an hours drive from me.
During WW1 this chap rode with our NZEF mounted rifles in Palestine as a medic.
Upon his return he continued with his practice before unfortunately succumbing to a disease caught off a patient in 1929.
His son inherited his dads gun and used it up until the outbreak of WW2.
He in turn served with the 2nd NZEF in Italy, and the gun was required by the home guard for the duration of the war.
After his return it was used lightly for ducks and upland game, pest control etc. on his farm until his retirement.
Now in his late nineties he handed in his firearms licence and the gun to the local arms officer for destruction.
Fortunately our arms officer is a good chap I know who put him on to me where a fair exchange took place.
I thought I would share the story as I would suspect it very unusual to find a gun of this age with only two owners.
I know some have no interest in such things, but to me a big part of collecting firearms is the history behind them, even if fairly straight forward and domestic.

Cheers,

GDU.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 02/26/17 08:25 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stunning piece of wood. Nice job saving it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an A Allan common boxlock with 30" Damascus barrels that is my "go to" skeet gun. Very well made gun though standard Birmingham issued action. Also has a nice, though not fancy piece of wood. No way to be certain but I'm betting the barreled action was supplied from the black country and then stocked in Allan's shop.

You have a very nice gun that is several steps ahead of mine in quality. Greener crossbolt, ejectors, forend tip inlay, and Deeley latch--all very nice.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun with an interesting, known history.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is great information about your shotgun and I for one would love to know the prior history on my double. Beautiful gun.

Would they have destroyed a double?

treblig1958 #473329 02/27/17 02:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
That is great information about your shotgun and I for one would love to know the prior history on my double. Beautiful gun.

Would they have destroyed a double?

Thanks.
Unfortunately police here have a policy of destroying any firearms handed in, irrespective of what they are.
It does not appear to be a hard and fast rule fortunately so comes down to the individual arms officer and most will advise people to give them to the local gun shop to sell on behalf.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone know if a trade label was ever produced by Allan?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello, try http://www.gmackinlay.com/contact-us/

Graham will know.

Regards redgrouse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you are Greg:

[img:left][/img]

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.