April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Loctite 660 is the best solution. It is made for repairs of this nature. Clean parts with Acetone. slight roughening is good as well.

Find a cheap soft dowel like home stores sell slightly above hook diameter and crush fit it into the hook clamping the shim at all surface positions with a c clamp with a floating button. Let it cure 24 hours. Trim, final fit.

Shim will wear out before you break the bond if properly cleaned.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

One could certainly simply leave the shim loose on the action, just being aware of it being there while cleaning the barrels.

The notion of soft brass or aluminum seems good.

An article in DGJ, describing an identicle brass shim repair, free of any solder or adhesive, by a gent who did just that with a Nitro Special, and used the well worn piece as his waterfowl gun, with a steady diet of big loads for many years leaves little doubt the repair is good enough for a working gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now I don't like disagreeing with people but the use of Loctite 660 or the older version found over here Loctite 601 can only be classed as a temporary running repair, because its main function is a retainer/bonder for close fitting cylindrical parts. very useful for keeping keys in keyways permanent fit for bearings and bushes in holes or housing and requiring a great deal of heat to break its bond. If used as a just an adhesive on the barrel hook its bond starts to break down at the open edges and a shim fitted this way will eventually fail sometimes very quickly.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted,
Just leaving the shim float is a problem in that it moves out of the hook then starts to bind the action, at least that is my experience with 2 different guns.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotch tape does wonders as a temporary fix when you just want to take the old worn out gun to the range for an afternoon...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Ted,
Just leaving the shim float is a problem in that it moves out of the hook then starts to bind the action, at least that is my experience with 2 different guns.

Did you use a brass shim, or steel? Worse would be ground and hardened feeler gauge stock, it would resist conforming to surfaces it was placed between.

Ordinary typing paper is perhaps .004 in thickness. It retains oil beautifully, and will work for a day or two of shooting. Easy to cut, fit, and replace as needed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does any one remember the old trick of putting bananas in a standard shift transmision case to make noisey gears quiet when selling that car??

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Old Joe
Does any one remember the old trick of putting bananas in a standard shift transmision case to make noisey gears quiet when selling that car??

Nice analogy? Hope that's not what this thread's about...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I heard sawdust. Never saw, or, did it, just heard of it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,

Agree or not it's the best adhesive for the job currently available. I have never used it for a permanent repair or sold a gun with a shim. But there has been an ongoing discussion on expedient and low cost repairs. If the owner wishes to secure the shim with minimal tools or risk of heat it's the best solution. My sole point. Not advancing or promoting the method, simply an answer to the best way to bond a shim in place without silver or soft solder, a method that doesn't require the tools or skill.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.