April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (battle, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

We are getting to the tail end of dealing with a major joint reconstruction for a family member. To a large extent, it really seems to be the mindset of the individual to push. In agreement with the orthopedic surgeon, we tapered off as quick as possible from the standard PT, and worked with a good athletic trainer to make much better headway. On the other hand, if someone were willing to put some good swimming in, I think that's a good bit more than most would do. Hope all goes routine and smooth next week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just had a total left shoulder replacement done 12/13/16 merry Christmas to me!my goal is to be shooting at Carlisle next month!

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I figured I am too young (60) to be limited in what I can do. I still do most things including some weight lifting, kyaking and other things that require a fair amount of shoulder work. My only issue is when I over do it, I end up paying for it for the next 3-4 days. I will be swimming laps again as soon as I can.

Thanks for the info guys. Hope to be typing with one hand soon.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the swimming might be better than concentrating on the shoulder. Core strength, range of motion and keeping muscles balanced could be helped out by swimming, maybe more than targeting specific areas. And, lots of ice to get back in it the next day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All four rotator tendons were torn from the humerus, labrium damaged, bicep tendon torn and other issues. After reattachments of all rotator tendons , and bicep tendon with 2 months sleeping in a recliner, started major rehab. Surgery was May 25th and I shot both rifles and shotguns in October . The key , I used the Evo shield to protect my shoulder. Without this device, I would have missed this past hunting season. My doctors allowed me to do what I felt comfortable with. Amazon has them but searching Amazon is difficult. www.evoshield.com/shop/sports/outdoors/shootershield...is best place to start. Be sure shirt is a very snug fit to keep the shield in place. I wear my all day and it does not hinder my movements in any way.

This is a difficult surgery, so listen to your PT and work hard at your rehab. I am now approx 80 % but it is a year recovery. I am 69.

Benny Kirkham
Sidelock
Sidelock

My rotator cuff was a year recovering also. I had a 10ga I wanted to shoot. The first time I tried it jumped up and hit me in the nose, hurt my nose and my shoulder. I had it ported and lengthened the stock. That helped a lot.

I liked to play tennis so I started playing left handed and did surprisingly well. Shooting left handed is something you might give thought to. The big thing is to give yourself recovery time. Everybody is different because one person has a quick recovery doesn't mean you will. Exercising in a swimming pool really speeded up my recovery.

Sidelock
Sidelock

or maybe its just time to give it up.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

My hunting buddy shoots a 16 Ga. Parker built on an "O" frame and the gun is very light with a good amount of felt recoil. We fooled around with very light loads and eventually came up with a 3/4 oz. and a 7/8 oz., both of which had a minimum of felt recoil.
I suggest that if you want to shoot without pain, reloading very light loads could be your solution.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

The most important factor in recovery is the Physical Therapy. I put off getting my shoulder fixed was partially because the Orthopedic doc I was going to said it couldn't be fixed and because I figured a little pain never hurt anybody. WE both were wrong. Dennis Ralston recommended the doc that fixed his shoulder and I had it done. Unfortunately they had to open me up to operate. If it can be done orthographically the recovery time is much shorter. Mine was over 25 years ago and I still throw like a girl. Dennis ended up losing leg. Too many injuries, too many pain killers. He was once a world class athlete and number one tennis player in the country.

The big thing is don't push it and keep doing your therapy. You can wait a year and still have fun shooting. I was playing pro am tennis and didn't want to stop, but I was just kidding myself. I was stupid to have pushed it. I wasn't that good anyway.

Last edited by pooch; 02/14/17 01:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had rotator cuff surgery in Feb of 15. Had great recovery and got range of motion back in uncommon time without all the pain etc. others had warned me of. Immediate goal was to get fly-casting ability back in order to use newly modified Whaler for spec fishing on Alabama/Fla coast. That went well but forgot about dove season until late August. Shot great % but only 6 birds first day, as I did not want to push my luck. (Opens first Sat of Sept. in MS) Too sore to even attempt to shoot the second day. Was fine by the first of that November, just had to redirect my therapy. Your results may vary.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.