May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 1,116 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Salopian #471224 01/31/17 04:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Gentlemen,
Thank you for all your replies, as I hope I explained only asking from an interest point of view , as I am old enough and soft enough to have tried all the concoctions. Tru-Oil does stand the test of time and frankly many Professional Gunsmiths whilst shrouding their finish in smoke & mirrors with a dash of dragons blood actually do use Tru for quickness.
An internet search brings up various percentages and ratios , but it would be nice to actually have an educated guess at the Tru constituents.
Lagopus we both know that our concoctions work well and if you would like to PM me it would be appreciated. Have you got any projects on the go at the moment?

P.S. I have tried Linspeed and frankly I am not very impressed at all.

Salopian;

I read your comments above with interest as I consider the English made stock finish "Trade Secret" the best of them all; and question why you are using TruOil in lieu of Trade Secret.

Is the Trade Secret application process too long for you or have you not used it?

Formerly, before I retired I had friends traveling often to UK and would have them to bring back to me the large size bottles of Trade Secret as well as their other products such as Alkanet oil, stock wax, and drier. Now I have to do the best I can with the small size bottles I can buy at Woodcock Hill.

For those of you who are reading this post and do not know about "Trade Secret" stock finishing oil, view the Westley Richards website https://www.theexplora.com/ and view Westley Richards stock work--they use Trade Secret oil.

Salopian #471228 01/31/17 05:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried a variety of gun stock finishes and the best store bought one was Tru Oil. For one that has to be sent for is Brian Board's Timberlux (sp).

Damascus, I have been looking for a good furniture wax and I am in the process of making one using pure beeswax and gun spirts turpentine, not mineral spirts as it is petroleum based, and a few drops of pure lemon oil.
Another recipe calls for using olive oil mixed with beeswax and a few drops of pure lemon oil.
I have one brewing now using 1 part pure beeswax, 3 parts gum spirit turpentine, 1 oz. flax oil and a few drops of lemon oil.

For oil finished gun stocks this would be good also because the turpentine along with the linseed oil (I would use flax oil because it is not petroleum based like linseed oil) will sink into the wood, let sit and then buff it out.

David

Salopian #471231 01/31/17 05:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bushveld,
I am not using Tru-oil, just opening up a debate about the variety available.
Mike Smart is a good friend of mine and I have used Trade Secrets since Mike started, incidentally Mike used to work with Clive Lemon of CCL and I prefer Mike's brew.
Mike used to work with my apprenticemaster Bert Williams who was Foreman at W.C.Scott , so I guess all these concoctions have a little customisation going on.

Nick. C #471264 01/31/17 11:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: El Garro
The data sheet doesn't go into much detail but may give an idea. The download failed from Birchwood Casey but it works from the Bisley site.
I've no idea how to post it as it's PDF file.
I was told it sets hard enough to blunt checkering tools pretty quickly. Actually I was told off for part finishing a stock and fore end before taking it to the lady who does my checkering.

My checkering lady told me just the opposite. The last stock she did for me was a Fox restock (reshape/rechecker, actually). I called and asked her at which stage of completion would she like to checker it. She replied, "Put on all the finish except the last coat." I did, with TruOil, sent it to her, and it came back great, with no complaints from her. This is how it looked when I got it back from her:

It finished up very nicely, too. Different strokes for different folks I guess, El Garro.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Salopian #471268 01/31/17 11:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, did you lightly brush in some Tru Oil over the newly checkered area for protection of the wood?
Always nice to see a good checking job.

David

Salopian #471275 02/01/17 12:31 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It takes awhile to dry by itself. I really like using watco danish oil in natural for my walnut now

Salopian #471277 02/01/17 01:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding is it's a varnish with a lot of mineral spirits added to it. Wood finishers call this wiping varnish Varnish is a mixture of a drying oil (e.g. Linseed) a resin (today usually polyurethane) and a thinner. If you cut spar varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits that's about what Tru-oil is. I will say it's a good product and you don't have to buy an entire quart just to finish a stock.

Salopian #471279 02/01/17 01:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 2004, I toured a number of gunmakers in the Val Trompia.
Included were Fabbri, Poli, Piotti, FAMARS, Ferlib, Perazzi,
B.Rizzini and F. Rizzini. Memory tells me that all used Tru-Oil
right out of the Birchwood Casey jug.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Stan, did you lightly brush in some Tru Oil over the newly checkered area for protection of the wood?
Always nice to see a good checking job.

I did, but before that I took a soft toothbrush and brushed on a diluted application of stain, being careful not to let it get too dark which is easy to do on fresh cut checkering. I just prefer the checkering not too look too light colored in comparison to the rest of the wood.

The finished product:

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Salopian #471294 02/01/17 11:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, yes I do the same, use a toothbrush with diluted stain, let it dry and then use a toothbrush with some Tru Oil on it.
Yours looks great.

David

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.