April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

A contractor doing some work on our house brought me a double he acquired a few years ago. In referencing my books there's no way it was actually made by the original (pre-Winchester) company of that name.

In searching the forum I found this old thread...http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=277522

But nothing certain came from that, so I wonder if there are any updated insights. I noticed right off the bat that the frame does indeed look like an SAC gun, but as TopGun pointed out on the other thread, the lug is narrower on this one. I was also aware of the Baker C grade guns, but have never seen one, and this gun doesn't say Baker (or Fulsom, for that matter) anywhere.

It has no proof marks, nor any ID of the barrel type (I would guess Twist, but there's some variances in there that look different).

Lastly, just as the OP in the other thread noted, it appears to be etched rather than engraved. I say this primarily because of how shallow the cuts are.

OK, so all that said, does anyone know who made this gun?

Many thx for input. Pics below.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

I say Baker C / New Era. I've also seen the same frame/ engraving stamped Montgomery Wards, Chicago-- made by Baker IIRC.

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

But wouldn't that mean theyd have had to acquired the New Haven name? Is that known?

Also, to whom (and for what) was the Aug 12, 1884 patent granted to? W.H. Baker?

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a Syracuse to me. But, perhaps not, the pin pattern is different. I can't remember but I believe at least one other company's actions had the same triangular shape on the top side of the action. I'll bet the tubes have H.R.F. stamped on'em..

It very well may have been Baker, which also would explain the tubes, as Baker did source tubes from Heuse Riga-Fils.

After a little thought, I concur, Baker. I haven't had a chance to handle one of their boxlocks yet.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/20/17 03:24 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken61,

I own SAC's, and while you are right about the swept back frame that looks almost exactly alike, i can tell you that the cocking mechism is nothing alike. From even just a visual, the barrel lug is not nearly aa broad as an SAC.

Lastly, for that to be the case, the patent would have to be assigned to Frank Hollenbeck, given the date. And there are no Hollenbeck patents from 1884.

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, it's a Baker. I was busy changing my post while you responded.

Baker did make "Trade Name" guns for others to sell. Some Batavia Leaders were marked "New Era" as well. Haven't been able to nail that one down yet, it may have been "The Field" in Chicago.

Those hybrid tubes are pretty sweet, with crolle irons worked into the twist pattern.

Here's another "New Haven" thread.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=277660

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/20/17 03:54 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The pain of it is, in researching Google's patents info, I can't seem to find any Aug. 12, 1884 patents which would fit the bill.

I looked under Baker Gun, Syracuse Forging, W.H. Baker...cannot find an Aug. 12, 1884 patent reference.

Head scratcher...

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a Baker C grade. I had one just like it that was made for Montgomery Wards. Baker made a fair number of guns for MW. I have two 12 32" side lock waterfowl guns they made for MW. Over eight pounds and choked .055 each barrel. Can't shoot them with plastic wads they are just too tight. Nice for fifty yard clay targets. With felt wads they work well.

Nudge Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

KY Jon,

You could well be right. I think was has me most perplexed is that it says New Haven Arms Co. If it had some silly made up trade name it would make perfect sense. But New Haven Arms was a real company which changed its name to Winchester, so you have to think the name was still owned by either Winchester, or an investor, or SOMEBODY.

American Motors hasnt existed for decades, but i can guarantee you if you introduced a car by that name, SOMEBODY would arrive in court with paperwork to sue you.

So the question is...did Baker, for use as part of their New Era production, acquire the naming rights in order to use it as a trade name...?

Anybody, thoughts or evidence on that?

- Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd bet this gun was made well after NHA became Winchester. Someone else had the name by then.

It may be the later "Baker Standard" action rather than the Grade C. It appears specific patent info is lacking.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/20/17 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.