April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Lloyd3, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 471 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,234
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#469254 01/16/17 07:52 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I kinda wrapped up the season last week. Overall would rate it poor, with worse to come. Even with my bad legs, I managed to get enough days in the field to get a fair sample. Last outing saw maybe 10-12 Birds over 2 days. My guest left here for central Kansas, saw none in three days. Losing CRP quickly which will stress population even more through the winter and reduce nesting habitat in the spring. As soon as the roads clear, Friday?, I am headed south to winter out...Stay safe and well, guys...

Boxlock
Boxlock

That's sad to hear but a similar tale everywhere. Gotta have nesting habitat or you won't have birds. Have a safe trip south.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wild bird season in Eastern Kansas this year has been a bust with the bust wild bird day finding three coveys, one large (20+), two very small (<l0). My average day was no coveys. Saw more pheasants, but none within range. Prairie Chicken was below average, but did consistently find birds during the early season, did not try during regular season.

There are two weeks left and I will get out a few more times.

Habitat is the number one issue, access second, that said access does not matter if there are not many birds.

My best hunting days this year have been in South Dakota.

I have spent more days shooting preserve birds this year than I care to admit.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drove through upper Kansas on my way home from NE last week and saw pheasants everywhere. I didn't buy a KS license this year but have a buddy who did and he had very good pheasant hunting. With the quail numbers in SE NE, I find it hard to believe the quail hunting wasn't very good in KS as well. Everyone I've talked to has said the numbers in KS were very good this year.

Last edited by Gt1900; 01/16/17 09:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

KS is a big state, and the eastern part isn't the best for either quail or pheasants.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I kinda wrapped up the season last week. Overall would rate it poor, with worse to come. Even with my bad legs, I managed to get enough days in the field to get a fair sample. Last outing saw maybe 10-12 Birds over 2 days. My guest left here for central Kansas, saw none in three days. Losing CRP quickly which will stress population even more through the winter and reduce nesting habitat in the spring. As soon as the roads clear, Friday?, I am headed south to winter out...Stay safe and well, guys...

Same scenario around Downs, Kansas for the pheasants but the low numbers might be attributed to a hail storm there. Did see a few more around Norton & was told of many sightings by farmers around Norton but warm temps prevented the farmers from harvesting their crop due to an aphid gumming up the harvester. So there was more than ample cover. But we did find around 30 coveys of quail, with the majority around Downs or Lake Waconda, each nearing a total of 30 birds per covey. But difficult to capitalize on those coveys in high winds using #4 & #5 shot. And we just had too many hunters to have an effective, safe shot on the covey-rise.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I've always heard that it goes in cycles it seems that the off year cycles were getting longer and longer. One of the main reasons I bought a 12 gauge and mostly hunt waterfowl now. Always plenty of birds.

With more and more reports of good hunting coming in for North and South Dakota only, I wonder how their governments will react to the increasing numbers of out of state hunters.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We did see more quail than we have seen in a good number of years...Today is a Bird Killer day...Just let the dog out...at least 1/2 inch of ice with heavy snow predicted...Birds under that stuff,unless it warms up quick, will suffer...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, are you still wintering in Mexico?

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, Steve, Arizona...Have to stay close to VA docs....AND Mexico is as close to Anarchy as any country I have ever seen....Borders being blocked, Yesterday 40,000 demonstrators closing entrance at Mexicali, California Highway Patrol closing freeways leading to Border....No fuel no money...and no US coverage....Not a good place to be....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.