May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, SKB, Mike Harrell, 3 invisible), 250 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,353
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a better opinion of CABELA'S than many of the previous posters. In St. Louis, the Gun Library staff is knowledgeable and competent. They are not going to know the details of the various Lefever and Parker model variations, but I don't expect them to. I've purchased about ten shotguns from the Gun library.

My only complaint is that in the last three years, their tag prices in the Gun Library have become too high. I haven't bought any guns from the GL lately.

CABELA'S still has the best special sale prices on guns. I bought a Ruger LCP .380 for $199 there a few months ago. That was below CDNN's "wholesale dealer" price at the time.

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I did a deal with them last year. They have the most convoluted checkout system I've seen in any Cabela's store. Maybe it's due to physical layout, but it seems odd to put the computer terminals at the checkout counters. That way, you purchase a gun, stand in line until your turn at the checkout counter--and then you make everyone else in line wait while you fill out your 4473 on the computer. Other places I've been, they have a separate area with several terminals. 4473 done before you ever get to the checkout counters.

The 5% discount for active and retired military is great, and I'll certainly shop at Cabela's when they have something I'm looking for.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/03/17 04:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Even a blind pig sometimes finds an acorn" even in the Gun Library.
My Dad went to the Dallas/Fort Worth Gun Library while on a business trip and happened upon a 1980's era, As New without box, Italian V. Bernadelli Gamecock with 26 in. Imp Cyl./Mod.,straight Grip. He got it for $375 and shipped free back to our home.This was 5 years ago and it has taken a lot of birds with me.
Just thought this might be of interest.
H

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too gunluvr. I once found a Lindner - Daly Diamond grade at the Fort Worth Cabelas years ago, grossly mislabeled "Field Grade." $275.00 OTD. Now there was a little play in the lockup, and you couldn't see the damascus pattern for the bluing job, but I had pros address those two issues and it shot fine. I still wish I had it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bravo! I have no use for Bass Pro and every use for Herter's branded shells and Estate dove loads when on sale and shipped for free or near free. I spent about $2K last year on shells priced cheaper than I can load them shipped to my door.

Competition is good, mergers are not - ever.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, you can always shop at Gander Mountain. They typically have one guy manning the gun counter with frustrated customers lined up, while other employees wander the sales floor looking busy. Then you go to check out, and they have one register running while same employees wander around looking busy.

Fortunately, we also have Green Top Sporting Goods here in Virginia.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We have 2 Gander Mountain retail stores in Kent Co. MI-- the one on 29th St.- that's like you described. And like the Cabela's GL in Grandville (Rivertown Mall complex) with the Fubared LC Smith Ideal 16 gauge that is really a 20 gauge, this store has , and has had for 2 years, a "Uncle Dan LeFever 12 grade CE with 32" Krupp barrels, DT and EJ- except that is clearly marked on receiver and the barrels as well as a 3-barrel gun co-Hollenbeck. I have pointed out this glaring error to their floor stooges, even the gunsmith who is a serious Winchester collector, and have they changed this, and the price $3500- WFT. Fubars are where you find them, I guess.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
pooch #469203 01/15/17 01:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't imagine Bass Pro getting rid of the gun library portion of the business. The gun libraries have the most knowledgeable employees in the entire store. The reason Bass Pro really doesn't have any libraries anymore is because Cabela's put them out of business! When a company merges with another company they buy the assets that will make them the most money. I know for a fact that the gun libraries make many many millions of dollars for Cabela's every year. When and if the merger is consummated let's hope the gun libraries stay. Besides, they generally pay a fair price for a firearm if you want to sell it bearing in mind that they have to make a profit on the other end. Anyway, just my two cents worth.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite frankly, I don't care for either chain. I have generally found that both are more expensive than smaller, regional or local stores, not to mention the on line avenue. I can't see how a merger would be good for anyone in a crowded and mature market that is moving away from "brick and mortar" stores. Macy's, Sears, Walmart, come to mind. Whether the merger happens, or not, the future does not look bright for either brand, IMO - worse if the merger happens. Niche players and the internet will continue to chip away at their sales and profits.

For years the Cabella's board was divided over physical stores verses catalog and on line sales. That was before on line sales of merchandise became the behemoth it is today. I think the jury is still out over the long term heath of either firm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just imagine how big that monthly electric bill is to light a parking lot that size, the heating bill to heat a store that size and on and on it goes. I can't see why Bass Pro is doing this right now because all they have to do is just wait a few years and Cabela's will be up for sale at a sheriff's auction.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.