May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, battle, fullandfuller, SKB, Jimmy W, Gerry Addison), 838 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,500
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61, what say we commence another thread dedicated to Charles Daly, Lindner, etc. locks? I'm confident that Georg Lindner played only a supporting roll post 1874, but H.A. Lindner's sourcing, like to Triebel(a family he married into), etc. continued on the coattails of his father.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, step away from the BBS for a couple of days only to find three Lindner threads underway!

Compared to ten years ago a lot more in now known about the 65+years of Prussian Daly production in terms of makers and models and relationships. However, the very early years of Daly production (to include the OPs gun), and the last couple of years as the company was sold and resold, still hold a lot of unknowns.

Geo. - I am going to bet your serial number is 834, not 334. You should be able to confirm by looking behind the trigger guard and also on the forearm iron once you remove it. I can see your gun has a thru-lump. This was a design change that Lindner made at approx. serial number 500 (second series (HAL marking)). Since that number splits your two serial numbers in question, I am betting on the #834.

A couple quick questions to help determine the model number of your gun -

- Is the gun secured by cross-bolt or dolls head extension?

- Does the gun actually say "featherweight" on the rib inscription?

Best regards,
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's just the number "41" stamped on both locks.

Nice bit of case coloring under all the crud. Other components are nice and shiny as well.

I now see that Joe's lock is similar, but not the same as 441.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 12/31/16 02:29 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great idea for a Daly Lock thread. IMO, the emphasis should be determining not only lock design and sourcing, but mfg date using serial number, and relationship to the specific Lindner in charge at the time.

Those aspects would be nice to know for those considering purchase of a Prussian Daly.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Georgi
Geo. - I am going to bet your serial number is 834, not 334. You should be able to confirm by looking behind the trigger guard and also on the forearm iron once you remove it. I can see your gun has a thru-lump. This was a design change that Lindner made at approx. serial number 500 (second series (HAL marking)). Since that number splits your two serial numbers in question, I am betting on the #834.
A couple quick questions to help determine the model number of your gun -

- Is the gun secured by cross-bolt or dolls head extension?

- Does the gun actually say "featherweight" on the rib inscription?
Best regards,
Ken

The SN is 834. Found it plainly stamped on the lower tang (duh). Doll's head extension. Yes, the rib does actually say "Featherweight". I appreciate your help on this...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds like you have a model 120 Featherweight.

The 1894 Schoverling, Daly, and Gales catalog lists the gun at $120, a ten dollar premium over the standard model 120.

The odd piece with your Daly (and other featherweights in your Daly serial number range) is that it was was made a few years after 1894 and there is not a featherweight model listed in the either the 1895 or 1897 catalogs (or later catalogs). However, it is clear that the featherweight Dalys (actually marked as "featherweights", not just sub-6 lb guns) were made after they were no longer highlighted in the SD&G catalogs. I have two featherweight Dalys in the same boat.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Ken. Now I know what I have. It's a really nice handling gun. Barrels are 28" and choked M & IM...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61:

Do note that the example of which you are a custodian & Joe's have the retaining pin/bolt thru the Keystone spring stop, being the same as the Scott. So the position of the crosspin just might be a designation w/in a column for which to start?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

So,

Do you think we can attribute both Joe's gun as well as 441's locks to Scott? If so, that would mean that the five digit serial number guns as well as at least some of the three digit guns like 441 parts were still being sourced from Birmingham? Since they lack the first Lindner mark can they be attributed to Georg? Dating them to prior to Heinrich taking over and the use of the Crossed Pistols and Crown mark?

It appears that the break between Georg and Heinrich may occurred in the four digit range (between 1569 and 1662) indicated by the use of the first Lindner mark, attributed to Heinrich.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/01/17 10:32 AM.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.